Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Quick Meals & Snacks (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Flat Bread (tortilla like) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=56174)

Stardust Thu, Aug-15-02 11:05

Flat Bread (tortilla like)

Ingred.
1 beaten egg
2 tbsp regular pork rinds, crushed very fine
1 tbsp heavy cream
1 tbsp water
1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese (use whatever cheese you want ... I don't have cheddar in Sweden)
Seasoning (garlic, season salt, whatever you prefer).

Mix all ingredients and let set approximately five minutes to thicken. Heat your pan without oil (I use a non stick pan). Spoon a big dollop into the pan, spread out evenly and thin, sprinkle with seasoning, and brown well on each side.

These flat bread work very well for tostadas and layered enchiladas.

Values for entire recipe:
799 calories
66 g fat
48 g protein
3 g carbs
0 g fiber

PaulB Fri, Aug-16-02 07:42

Great idea. Since I REALLY miss Tostados, I'm going to give this a try.

Thanks!

PaulB

Stardust Fri, Aug-16-02 16:03

Hope you like 'em, PaulB. I had a beef fajita tostada with them recently and it was great.

--Lisa

KTiki Fri, Aug-16-02 16:17

1 Attachment(s)
:daze: This sounds so good!!! I love all the recipes I'm getting from this forum!!! Can't wait to try it.

Stardust Fri, Aug-16-02 16:43

Hi KTeaki:

I hope it works out for you. I have found many recipes here that I have enjoyed. Yum Yum!

--Lisa

KTiki Fri, Aug-16-02 22:44

I think it would be good for tacos. Then I will have an option other than taco salad when DH makes his in the shell. :cool:

Stardust Sat, Aug-17-02 06:04

Kteaki:

Let me know how the tacos work for you. I think the recipe may need to be tweaked with more cream and pork rinds. Please let me know how it goes.

--Lisa

squeak Wed, Dec-11-02 00:16

Great Idea

This is such a great idea. I love mexican food, I miss mexican food. Homeade fahita's here I come. Watch out tacos and enchalida's. Hooray for creativity.

Unfortunately, my attempts are somewhat clumsy. I've tried three batches so far.

The first batch was a total wreck. More like overcooked, flat scrambled egg pieces. I could not get it to spead thinly or evenly. The batter kept peeling off the pan when I tried to smooth it. And it broke up when I tried to flip it. So my son and I nibbled at it and I decided to try again.

Second batch I tried more cream, less grated cheese. This spread much better for me. I also used a different pan and made them smaller. :daze: Hooray I got them out mostly whole.

Third batch. I decied that more liquidy spread better so I'd add more water too. The water will evaporate and give me a thin tortillia thingy. Bad Idea. While the batter whoshed nicely out into a thin circle and looked great, It was too delicate. I could not flip it. I even tried putting two pans face to face and flipping it that way. :mad: No deal

So, stardust, if you or anybody else want to give more detail on the logistics of cooking this. Or tips for keeping the little circles whole - I would so appreciate the advice.
- Thanks - Gaila

BTW I get about three out of the recipie -- is that about right. They are much thicker than storebought tortillias.