Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What has been your rate of loss? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=55347)

TeriDoodle Mon, Aug-12-02 11:48

What has been your rate of loss?

As a mentor, I've typed a hundred times, "The average rate of loss is 10% during induction and 5% per month thereafter..." I'm curious if that really is the average...

When you started, how many pounds did you need to lose?

What was your rate of loss during the 1st two weeks?

How long have you been LCing and what has your rate been since then?

When I started I needed to lose about 40 lbs.
I lost 25% (10#) of that during induction.
I've been LCing for 5 months and have lost another 11 pounds, which equates to about 7% per month.

Hmmmm.... apparently I'm doing better than average!

How are you doing?

Natrushka Mon, Aug-12-02 12:00

Re: What has been your rate of loss?

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriDoodle
When you started, how many pounds did you need to lose?
About 83 - goal weight is still flexible.

Quote:
What was your rate of loss during the 1st two weeks?
Following PP (the original, not PPLP) I lost 16 lbs, 19% in the first two weeks.

Quote:
How long have you been LCing and what has your rate been since then?
The firs part is easy. 54 weeks. The second? Impossible to tell. I've spent 6 week periods losing no scale weight but dropping 2 dress sizes - % of loss would be 0 if the scale was all I used for measurement. If I do the 'general math' I average about 6% a month.

Nat

DebPenny Mon, Aug-12-02 13:12

Well, since I have been on TSP for 6 months and 2 weeks, it kind of makes it easy.

Starting weight: 243#
Goal: ~~135#
Projected weight reduction: ~~108#
First two weeks' weight reduction: 11# == 10% of weight reduction
Remaining 6-months' weight reduction: 18# == 16.67% of weight reduction
Average weight reduction for the 6 months: 3# == 2.77% of weight reduction
Total amount of weight reduced: 29# == 11.9% of beginning body weight

The problem with this is that the lion's share happened in the first few months. Since then my progress has slowed a lot. And I just broke a 7-weeks' stall with a 1-pound reduction today.

What I find interesting is that I am pretty much on track for the studies. Most of them say that you will lose 10% of your body weight in the first 6 months. I certainly did that and a little bit more. Now let's see how the next 6 months go.

And the most important thing to me is that I am still on the program. Every other "diet" I have tried has ended within a few months. This one is definitely a way of life for me. No more dieting!

One more pound and I can join the 30-down club! (Just had to throw that in there. ;))

;-Deb

jaykay Mon, Aug-12-02 13:25

When i started i had 32 pounds to lose. I lost 8 in induction (25%). I've been LCing for 3 months and have lost 6 pounds in the next 10 weeks, so 7.5% a month.
Well that makes me feel more positive, I was getting grumpy about the slow rate!
Jay :wave:

Jeanner Mon, Aug-12-02 14:52

Hmmm call me...

The Turtle woman. My rate is so slow. But then again I've had major pitfalls and curves thrown into the loop. But good things come to those that wait. ;)

DarkLotus Mon, Aug-12-02 15:13

When I started I wanted to know individual results too, still do :)

I am happy to say I have lost 81 of 131 pounds since 4/1/02. For me, I lost 12 lbs on induction, then about 3 lbs each week after that for two months. Then I found low carb tortillas and they slowed my loss quite a bit, luckily I realized this, and fixed it quick! Now for the past 2 months I am averaging 5 lbs a week! Inch wise I have been losing too. :wave:

JennyAnkai Mon, Aug-12-02 16:08

I am 5'5, 33 years old with a 14 month old child. I started LCing on January 1st of this year at 151 pounds. I am currently 137 pounds, with a goal weight of 135. I lost 8 pounds within the first month (I didn't do Atkins, so I didn't really do an "induction"; I just sorta dove into traditional LCing). So that's a loss of 5.5%. Since then I've lost 6 more pounds. Because I only had about 15 pounds to lose from the start, my loss has been way slooooow since that initial 8-pound loss in the first month. But the patience is paying off as I see my goal weight only 2 pounds away now! Hang in there, everyone, it will happen as long as you stick with it.

Jenny

TeriDoodle Tue, Aug-13-02 08:17

Jenny, I'm no math whiz, but the figures I come up with are a lot different than yours!

you wanted to lose 16 lbs and lost 8 the first month. That's 50% of your desired weight loss... 5x the average rate!

Then you lost 6 more pounds in 6 months which I calculate to be about 15% per month! That's 3x the average rate!

WOW!!!

JennyAnkai Tue, Aug-13-02 10:09

Back to school for me, Teri! You're right! How embarassing, I don't know what my fingers were doing on my calculator when I was trying to figure my percentages out. It seems so slow to me after that initial 8-pound loss, because it takes me a month to lose one pound, but I guess taking the total weight loss I guess you're right, it's not too shabby. Thanks for the "wow" !

Jenny

lesleyc Tue, Aug-13-02 23:26

I needed to lose 82lbs.

In the first two weeks I lost 11...so 13%

Since then I have lost on average of 5lbs per month, (6%) but things are definitely slowing as time goes on. I'm more like about 2-3lbs per month now.

Lesley

TeriDoodle Wed, Aug-14-02 05:03

Well, Lesley, that's because you only now have 20 pounds to lose, so that's better than 10%!! You're still doing great!!! :thup:

DDMariana Wed, Aug-14-02 07:40

Way back on April 24 I started induction...lost about 9 pounds out of the 51 pounds I had to lose. After the first two weeks I've played with the same 2 or 3 pounds either up or down. Total in 4 months lost: 11

I'm really not a happy camper at this stage because this is not just slow...evidently it's not working for me or I'm not working it properly. I know the rules, I follow them, but don't have the loss to show the progress that some of the others do. Hmmm....

:( I haven't gained any though...that's a thought.

TeriDoodle Wed, Aug-14-02 08:24

DD, I'll respond in your journal if you don't mind... to keep this thread on topic... ok? :)

clodagh Wed, Aug-14-02 09:29

my maths is not great, but I figure it out like this..

I wanted to lose 30 lbs and have lost 15 so far. so in 5 months I have lost 50% of what I wanted to love - so 10% a month!

wow, this really makes it sound fantastic!!!! I thought my loss was very slow!!!!

Thanks for bringing up this topic!

Clo

DPD Wed, Aug-14-02 12:10

Curious...

Just curious if anyone that has responded so far - has stayed on Induction or has everyone moved to OWL after 2 weeks?

I'm learning so much about this WOL... :spin:

Donna