Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   confused about some induction foods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=54730)

AnAngel81 Wed, Aug-07-02 19:23

confused about some induction foods

:wave: Hi everyone..I will be starting the atkins diet tomorrow. I just got done reading the induction part of the atkins book and I was confused about what it said about the salad stuff. How many cups of salad are we aloud to have and also I was alittle confused about salad vegetables and the other vegetables it also listed. And also the only salad dressing we can have is oil and vinegar? Thanks for anyones help. Anangel

pittypat Wed, Aug-07-02 20:08

I myself define "salad vegetables" as anything in the lettuce family. I have a small (soup) bowlful. As far as dressing goes, I use bleu cheese or ranch. Again, watch the carbs on the labels, and be careful with the portions. Watch the carbs on veggies. Carrots are full of 'em! Get creative with the salads! Chef salads, Cobb salad, grilled chicken salad, even taco salad less the shell, and easy on the taco seasoning in the meat.

Good luck! :thup: The first two or three days are the worst. If you get hungry, EAT SOMETHING! A chunk of cheese or a slice of ham are great. Just remember, it takes longer for it to "hit" your blood stream than sugar, so give the snack time.

tofi Wed, Aug-07-02 20:27

I believe you are allowed to have 2 cups of lettuce plus 1/2 cup of any cooked vegetable which is in the Induction list.

If you can stick with oil & vinegar dressing during Induction, you will be sure of keeping the carbs down. Later the creamy dressings are lowest in carbs: ranch, Caesar, blue cheese.

Salad vegetables are: any kind of lettuce, and raw cucumbers, celery, green & red pepper, mushrooms. The other Induction vegetables are also possible if eaten raw: spinach, broccol, cauliflower etc.

You can basically eat a LOT of lettuce with lots of oil. Then a limited amount of cooked veggies with LOTS of butter. And this IS a way to lose weight.

Hope this helps. :wave:

Marlaine Thu, Aug-08-02 10:57

Hi there AnAngel......

Dr Atkins is very clear about the veggies on page 123 of the latest edition of DANDR:

Quote:
Eat no more than 20 grams a day of carbohydrate, most of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables. You can eat approximately three cups--loosely packed--of salad, or two cups of salad plus one cup of other vegetables (see the list of acceptable vegetables on pages 125-126).

On page 125 is the list of salad veggies and on page 126 is the list of "other" veggies. Why not go through those lists and make yourself a personal list of the ones that you enjoy and will eat?

Marlaine

AnAngel81 Thu, Aug-08-02 18:37

hi just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied to my post. :)

Pat S. Thu, Aug-08-02 19:47

Hi AnAngel,
Welcome to the world of Atkins it really isn't hard the most important thing is don't forget to eat the allowed veggies and salad we need them. :wave: