Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Sugar-free Jello? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=54042)

msleeker Fri, Aug-02-02 21:17

Sugar-free Jello?

Does anybody eat sugar free jello? I'm wondering if this is an acceptable thing to eat after the induction period...it has asptertame so that's the reason I'm asking. Does anybody know of any other low carb gelatins or puddings that don't have aspertame? :q:

skyspinner Fri, Aug-02-02 21:45

Dr. Atkins acknowleges that some have trouble w/ aspartame, but he says its OK to eat SF gelatin sweetened w/ it. If I take it, I get headache. Also, I tested allergic to aspartame, so I try to stay far away from it. The press on it is simply horrendous!

I bought some unsweetened Kool Aid and unflavoured gelatin and I'm going to try making my own gelatin w/ Splenda, which does not bother me.

Jolly Rancher makes a ready-to-eat cup gelatin product sweetened w/ Splenda. You can find it in the cold food section where you find cups of Jello. In my area, it's pretty tough to find, but it's good when I do find it. Asking the grocery store to carry it helps some.

I have not seen a SF pudding w/o aspartame. Pudding is so high in carbs I really don't use it anyway.

msleeker Sat, Aug-03-02 17:11

Please let me know how the Kool Aid/gelatin thing works out and in the meantime I'll check for the Jolly Rancher. I only tried one package of the SF pudding and really didn't like it anyway. Thanks for your reponse. :bhug:

skyspinner Sat, Aug-03-02 17:39

Kool Aid gelatin w/ Splenda

Okay, this is how it turned out...I looked for a good flavour of Kool Aid, and that was a trip! What IS this thing kids have w/ blue food? I finally found a Strawberry/Star Fruit flavour that sounded good and was not blue.

I used a cup of Splenda to make the Kool Aid, but only 6 cups of water instead of 8. I didn't want the gelatin to taste watery. I kept some back to drink w/ lunch, so I used only 4 cups of this strong mixture for my gelatin experiment.

Then I looked on the Knox gelatin box and envelopes for some guidance on how much gelatin to use. Found only receipes for making "Knox Blox". What IS this thing kids have w/ eating w/ their hands? :lol:

So I used two envelopes of gelatin for 4 cups of liquid. It is a bit stiff, so I suspect one would suffice, but two is not bad.

I mixed some sour cream into part of it, and left the rest plain. It's very good, actually. Mixed w/ whipped cream it is really good. The sour cream makes it a Bavarian cream, and the plain is good on its own. It all just has that curious "airy" quality of artificial sweetener.

Best of all, no headache!!! :D

msleeker Sun, Aug-04-02 15:05

I suspect kids like blue food because it makes their tongues blue. I work at a doctor's office and we run out of the blue suckers first ;) I'll try the gelatin with maybe four cups of liquid and just one package of gelatin. I suspect one has to experiment a little to get the mixture "just right." I think plain yogurt would be just as good as the sour cream for the Bavarian cream dessert. I like Reddi Whip as it is plenty sweet and only 1G of carbohydrates. Happy lo-carbing!

skyspinner Sun, Aug-04-02 15:23

Quote:
Originally posted by msleeker
[snip]I think plain yogurt would be just as good as the sour cream for the Bavarian cream dessert. [snip

If you can afford the extra carbs! :)

Em221 Sun, Aug-04-02 20:25

That gets me to thinking...

I might try some with some whipping cream - instead of yogurt - might make something close to the texture of yogurt. Maybe put more water in it and blend it with some half & half for a sort of a shake ....

Might have to run some experiments.

Emily

msleeker Tue, Aug-06-02 11:15

I just read the carb count on my husband's plain yogurt -- now it's back to whipped cream w/the jello. I didn't realize yogurt had so many -- I've got a lot to learn! By the way, after two weeks on induction I've lost 8 pounds and one pants size. :D

skyspinner Sat, Aug-10-02 19:26

Quote:
Originally posted by msleeker
I just read the carb count on my husband's plain yogurt -- now it's back to whipped cream w/the jello. I didn't realize yogurt had so many -- I've got a lot to learn! By the way, after two weeks on induction I've lost 8 pounds and one pants size. :D

WAH-HOOOOO!!!!!!!! That's GREAT! Good for you.