Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Crushed Pork Rind for Breading ???? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=53780)

KTiki Thu, Aug-01-02 06:57

Crushed Pork Rind for Breading ????

:q: Has anyone ever used crushed pork rinds for a bread crumb substitute or as a coating for fries food? I just wondered if it worked out well.
Kathy :)

Beanie Thu, Aug-01-02 18:37

Sorry, I have not tried it but I have been thinking about trying it myself for fried chicken and to make breaded cutlets, etc. I imagine it would work but would love to hear from someone who's tried it. Let's hope for some responses! :)

PaulB Fri, Aug-16-02 07:25

Hi there Kteaki.

I use crushed pork rinds for frying chicken and shrimp. It works great and taste good enuf where I sometimes feel guilty eating it. LOL!

We put them in a blender to crush them....

Give it a whirl. Bet you'll like it.

BTW, I'm going to make Shrimp Poppers. Got a great idea for it while in Colorado earlier this week. If it turns out good, I'll post the recipe with pics this weekend.

It seems so important to me to have variety. In fact, if I don't have some variety, I'm bummed! With only a little creativity, this WOE allows us variety while having kitchen fun. Two things that are a MUST for me.

Good luck.

PaulB

KTiki Fri, Aug-16-02 15:56

1 Attachment(s)
:D Thanks Paul,
I will try it soon. I used to make center cut pork chops and turkey cutlets in the oven by spreading them with spicey mustard and dipping them in Italian bread crumbs. I'll try the crushed pork rinds, grated cheese and Italian seasoning. Yum

PaulB Fri, Aug-16-02 17:17

Be sure and post the recipe for the turkey. That REALLY sounds delicious!

SummerYet Fri, Aug-16-02 20:14

I have used it on chicken before. It was very good...and I agree with Paul...it almost makes you feel guilty!

I am trying chicked parmesan with them tomorrow. I will let you know how it turns out!
~Michelle :sunny:

KTiki Fri, Aug-16-02 22:41

:wave: I have some center cut pork chops but no time for whole family to eat until Sunday. They are my food critics. :)
All I plan to do is spread spicey mustard (dijon style) on both sides and edges of the chops. Then use a mixture of half crushed pork rinds and half grated cheese (parm) right out of the can and a bit of Italian spice and garlic to taste. to cover them with. Lightly grease a pan and bake at 350 F untill done, about 30 minutes.

I would use the same method for turkey cutlets.

I'll post after I try it and let you know.

cre8tivgrl Tue, Aug-20-02 15:21

We use crushed porkrinds for breading but also put the spicy ones in meatloaf. They are wonderful!

Shelley

squeak Tue, Oct-29-02 00:25

How to stick it

Ok call me a ditzy blonde. But I need to know -- do you just dip in egg then roll it in pork rind crumbs to stick the breading to it.

I am no good a breading things in general. I tried to parmesean coat eggplant this way and lost all the "breading" off of it. I'm excited to try a pork rind breaded chicken -- but need a clue first.

I'm sure elmers glue would work but now that wouldn't be very tasty would it. So, thanks for any sticky ideas.

I want to feel guilty about breading too!

bdeeley Tue, Oct-29-02 01:29

Don't Feel Guilty!

I've used crushed Pork Rinds numerous times on chicken and chops...they tend to get a little greasier than bread crumb coating or shake-n-bake, but taste every bit as good...the spicy ones are definitely best! My wife, who is not a LCer and a "fat is evil" believer even likes it!

Don't feel guilty about using Pork Rinds...they are a great low-carb alternative...they are oftened maligned as an unhealthy and fat laden food...but read the label sometime...they have lots of protein and less fat than you think...most salty snacks including supposedly "light" potato chips have more fat per serving...

Most Pork and Chicken doesn't need to be coated first...unlike bread crumbs, the PorkRInds are a little sticky to begin with...get large baggie, put a helping of crush rinds drop a piece or two of meat, blow a little air in the bag and twist to close it off and shake it a little like "shake-n-bake"...your meat will then be well coated...

Enjoy!

Brian

ant_eye_po Tue, Nov-19-02 23:02

Faux Breading

1. Dredge in bake mix (Atkins or similiar).
2. Dip in eggs.
3. Roll in crushed rinds.
4) Fry or Bake

I've had pretty good luck making hot wings with this method.

ant_eye_po Tue, Nov-19-02 23:09

Faux Breading

1. Dredge in bake mix (Atkins or similiar).
2. Dip in eggs.
3. Roll in crushed rinds.
4) Fry or Bake

I've had pretty good luck making hot wings with this method.