Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How to fire your scale (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=53003)

fridayeyes Sat, Jul-27-02 11:54

How to fire your scale

Hi folks!

I'm sure we've all been ready to huck the scale out the window from time to time, so here's a nice objective lesson in why scales are evil.

I was looking through my journal recently, and I've been journalling for exactly one month.

Weight when I started: 210.
Weight now: 211.

Looks pretty ugly, huh? A month of LC and I flippin' GAINed a pound! Well, I was ALL on a rant about it. I'd been as close to perfect as humans can get, eating LC, doing weights and cardio 3-4 times a week each, using Fitday, etc. So why, oh why wasn't I getting any decent results?

Then I got out my measurements. 2 inches off my bust, 3 off waist, almost 3 more off the hips and 2 off each thigh. I used the measurements to compare body fat. In that month, I went from 39% BF to 34% BF - a loss of 5%. Then I took those numbers and calculated the pounds of fat lost and muscle gained. :D

Are you ready?

10 lbs of fat lost

11 lbs of muscle gained

The lesson: Take your measurements and track your body fat percentage! The scale doesn't know or care if it's weighing a 10 lb rock or a 10 lb can of lard. But you do! It isn't about just pounds or kilos. It's about body composition. :)

For more on BF%, have a look at Nat's two stickies in the Body For Life forum. One of them even gives links to some bodyfat calculators. I use the one on Lean and Strong that lets you enter body measurements, but if you have a set of caliper readings you can use those, too.

Edit: Oh, yes, one other thing. When I came here, I thought I needed to lose 100 lbs. 240 to 140. I now have 139 lbs of lean mass alone. At 25% bodyfat, which is 'normal' for a woman, I can weigh 186 lbs. How's that for encouragement?! As I've said in my journal, easiest 'diet' in the world; you just keep moving your goal weight UP. :D

Cheers!

Friday

Marlaine Sat, Jul-27-02 12:02

Hey Friday.....

Congratulations on the GREAT progress!!

Just goes to show ya......the tape measure IS our friend!! I've had a similiar experience several times and when the scale stands still I turn to my trusty tape measure!

The real beauty of increasing LBM is that it allows us to burn even more calories!!

Marlaine

missatc Sat, Jul-27-02 12:41

Thanks Friday, for the great reminder and encouragement!!!
My scale has been s o o o o o o o S l o wwww.
I love hearing the reminder about LBM and reading about success stories such as yours. Makes me want to go do another set of UBWO :) Alas, the DOMS are telling me to take another day for rest :D .

Keep pushin iron!!

fridayeyes Sat, Jul-27-02 12:43

Hear, hear about eating more calories! There's a Weight Watchers group that meets in the teachers' lounge at my school and the members are all from our staff. Even with their 'points' thing, I know some of them, such as our 6'5 former football player Vice Principal, are eating 1200 - 1700 cals a day. I have to be very careful about keeping a straight face when I walk through the lounge and hear the coach giving the latest low-fat recipe tip, otherwise I'd be sniggering up my sleeve knowing that I eat 2300-2500 cals a day on my LC days and 3500 on my carb-up day. Then there are the lunchroom stares from the woman eating a only carrot as I proceed to eat half an avocado with a spoon in addition to my crab salad with heavy mayo. :D

The best revenge is living well!

Friday

P.S. MissATC: This is for you :)

Glutamine is my shepherd.
I shall not hurt.
It maketh me to drink cloudy water
and lay down on weight benches.
Yea, tho I lift in the valley of ouch,
I shall fear no DOMS.

I do 15-20 g of glutamine a day M-F. If you haven't tried it, it's worth it for the effect on DOMS alone. Get poweder rather than capsules unless you LIKE swallowing 10 pills at a time.

fridayeyes Sat, Jul-27-02 13:18

More math

In answer to anyone who is afraid of building muscle:

If I had just lost those 10 lbs of fat and not gained any muscle, my BF% would be a whole 2% higher. 200 lbs, 72 lbs of fat, 128 lbs lean. So despite seeing 10 lbs come off the scale, I would LOOK and BE fatter, and I wouldn't have lost as many inches. So if anyone is wondering about the fastest way to drop your bodyfat percentage, it's clearly weight training AND LC.

Cheers,

Friday

Doug H Sat, Jul-27-02 13:24

HI,
This is exactly what I needed to read today. I'll start taking measurements. I've been going about three weeks lo-carbing, working out regularly and keeping a food and weight log. I've lost .8 pounds (that's point eight)!
However, I'm stronger, and a couple of people have commented that I look thinner.
That's an interesting statistic that you've added so much muscle in view of the comments here and elsewhere that you can't add muscle while lo-carbing. I suspect the same thing is happening to me and perhaps others.
So I'll get out the tape measure and start tracking inches instead of pounds.
Congratulations. This is good!