Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Schwarzbein Principle (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   but peanut butter has sugar (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=52822)

ruby2z Thu, Jul-25-02 22:43

but peanut butter has sugar

Hi everyone! Okay, so how can I have peanut butter with celery when it has sugar in it?? I just started SP and want to adhere to it as strictly as possible, but I cant find any peanut butter without sugar. Am I being to rigid? There is also hidden sugar in other products (which is listed in ingredients, but not under sugar/carb grams) such as mayo, dry roased peanuts. I love nuts (all kinds), but where can I buy raw nuts (besides peanuts and walnuts)?
Thanks everyone...Happy LC'ing
Ruby

Karen Fri, Jul-26-02 00:36

Have you checked out any natural foods stores? They will have a large selection of sugar free nut butters as well as raw nuts.

Quote:
There is also hidden sugar in other products (which is listed in ingredients, but not under sugar/carb grams) such as mayo, dry roased peanuts.

No, sugar will be listed as sugar, or under carbohydrates. There are hidden carbs in products that use glycerine and sugar alcohols. Check out the articles in Low Carb Tips at the top of the page.

Karen

doreen T Fri, Jul-26-02 04:35

All foods of plant origin will contain at least a small amount of naturally occurring sugar(s), including nuts, soy, peanuts (which are a legume not a true nut ;)), fruits and vegetables. So, it's likely that even natural peanut and nut butters will have a gram or two of sugar listed. Just count it as part of your carb allotment for the meal.

I'm with Karen, try to find natural nut butters at the health food store, or some larger groceries will carry at least peanut butter that's "just peanuts and nothing else". Almond and hazelnut butters are wonderful :)

Doreen

lisaf Fri, Jul-26-02 06:18

True heaven...

...I found macadamia nut butter at a local health food store...it was expensive but SO worth it!

Lisa

Flamingo Fri, Jul-26-02 08:04

I've tried several of the natural peanut butter brands and only found one that truly tasted good. It's the house brand at my local Kroger store. It's surprisingly good.

ruby2z Fri, Jul-26-02 09:49

thanks everyone for the suggestions (and inspiration). i am going to the health food store and see what they have. I am looking forward to trying some other nut butters......yum.....
ruby

TheBetty Fri, Jul-26-02 10:07

RubyTooooooz, I have good news!

There are 5 locations in Virginia that have Trader Joe's (TJs)grocery stores! You can find EVERYTHING YOU NEED there for eating healthfully. You can check out their website for info about them at www.traderjoes.com

They don't do mail order to keep their costs low.

We shop their for 99 percent of our food needs. We get some cheese and our steaks and sometimes berries from Costco. The only thing we eat that I can't find at TJs is nitrate-free bacon and mayo that uses cold pressed canola oil (which I get from Whole Foods).

TJs is extremely affordable, the best prices on everything--can't be beat. They sell their own brands of most things, including the best natural and unsalted peanut butter! Once you open it, you stir it and keep it in the fridge. No sugar. Just peanuts, that's it. I think it's like $2.79 or something, but I can't remember.

They sell everything that normal grocers sell, but better stuff and cheaper prices.

I hope this helps. Here's a copy and paste from TJs website of their Virginia locations. I just love TJs, can't you tell? :) --Betty

VIRGINIA
*Stores are open from 9a to 9p daily unless otherwise noted on map

•Alexandria •Reston
•Bailey's Crossroads •Tyson's
•Fairfax

Sheldon Sat, Aug-31-02 11:17

Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter--Chunky--is delicious. It's just peanuts and a little salt.

Sheldon

tigersue Thu, Sep-05-02 11:27

I buy Adams peanut butter. It doesn't have added sugar and I keep it in the fridge so I don't have to stir it so much. My kids eat it and like it. I also go to a health food store and buy other nut butters that don't have sugar in it. Macadamia nut butter is really good.
Tanya