Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   back on diet but not happy about it (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=5262)

geogirl Wed, May-16-01 11:31

back on diet but not happy about it

Hi, I am new. I was out looking for a low-carb group for support since I just got back on the diet, and really don't like it much. I prefer to eat light foods, but I simply do not lose weight that way. I lost 37 lbs last year low-carbing, and have been off the diet for 5 months, have gained back 7lbs, exercise a lot, etc. I have pretty good carb resistance, I think -- I can eat quite a bit of them before I gain, but I simply don't *lose* unless I cut them back, usually less than 50 grams a day. I like to eat some, a half a bagel or grain bread, some oatmeal, or fruits. In general I do something like the Carb addicts diet, since it allows me to have some carbs each day, and then 2 meals without them.

I had bacon for b'fast yesterday, and hated it. Eggs for lunch today and hated it. BUT, if this is what I have to do to lose another 50lbs, I will do it. My husband is also doing it, which makes it easier, except he isn't all that happy about it either! We hate the constant cooking and doing dishes all the time, it's so much easier to eat a granola bar or something.

Feeling kinda punky about it today, hope it gets better, and hopefully can find some motivation here :)

geogirl

tamarian Wed, May-16-01 11:51

Hi Geogirl and welcomed aboard.

I don't blame for hating what you're eating. But you came to the right place :) Keep reading Karen's techniques for low-carb cuisine. Click on Tips in the menu above and find the article "Jazzing-Up your Induction" and Click on "Karen" from the menu as will for a list of her recipes (I will publish a few more on the way).

There's more to low-carb eating than bacon and eggs, just make sure you like what you eat and eat what you like. :)

Wa'il

geogirl Wed, May-16-01 12:03

thanks

I didn't even see those links -- blind. :)

As long as I can find some things for lunch and maybe some snacks, I'll probably make it all right -- dinners are fine, I don't mind just steak or chicken with veggies -- especially now that we can break out the grill again. B'fasts I will make my carb meal, since I work out in the mornings, too, and I just cannot work out on no carbs. So I will look through some recipes for lunch ideas, and snacks. There was a guy on the TODAY show yesterday who did something interesting with almonds -- I think he baked them in olive oil, some chili pepper and salt, which would make a good snack. I just need to get more ambitious! :)

Thanks for your reply, will keep reading here and hopefully have some good news or ideas to share along the way,

gg

Mrs. Y Wed, May-16-01 14:02

Quality Time

Kitchen time can be quality time. Somehow it's been phased out of everyone's lives, which is really quite sad, because it should be as pleasurable as anything else you do with your mate.

I love to get into the kitchen with DH and be his chef's helper. We spend hours in there (recently had it renovated, so it's a pleasure to be in now...) having drinkies and good discussions, listening to nice music and turning out some great food.

After all, some people spend *hours* parked in front of the TV together, why not enjoy the cooking process instead?

rainny Wed, May-16-01 15:31

I LOVE TO COOK!

We all spend a lot of time in the kitchen also. Trying new recipes and cooking together. We just bought a new home...so it makes it really nice. The apartment we where at before was only 650 sq ft and now we have 1800. I CNA BBBBBRRREEAAATH!~:D
smile

Mrs. Y Wed, May-16-01 15:38

Kitchen Time

And if we didn't share a house with my mom, we'd probably be doing a lot more than cooking in there, if you know wut I mean he he ;)

tamarian Wed, May-16-01 15:55

Re: Kitchen Time

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Yogi
And if we didn't share a house with my mom, we'd probably be doing a lot more than cooking in there, if you know wut I mean he he ;)

You'll wash the dishes together too? :p

Wa'il

Mrs. Y Wed, May-16-01 17:37

Yeah, that's it...

borlisch Wed, May-16-01 19:44

Some days I hate it also, but I have to be honest and say I really am not hungry, I just crave sweets.

Made egg drop soup tonight, canned chicken broth, cut up 1 green onion and swirled an egg in. Very tasty.

I hope I can start including more carbs, soon. I do miss them. But it took me 3 weeks to lose 8 #. I keep hanging in there, because I do know it works. So hang tough knowing there are a whole group of ups out there doing the same thing.

Have a great tomorrow.

Barb :)

shelley Thu, May-17-01 06:28

I love to cook, but I love watching people enjoy food even more.
Yesterday I made low carb cheesy bones, the kids gobbled them up in 2 minutes. They were actually fighting over them.
I try to make something new everyday, it make life more interesting. :cool:

r.mines Thu, May-17-01 08:29

cheesy bones

Dem bones is good, eh?

Yo, ho, ho! (where's the rum?)

Rachel

Mrs. Y Thu, May-17-01 11:11

Yum, sounds good!

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a cheesy bone?

doreen T Thu, May-17-01 11:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Yogi
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a cheesy bone?
Well, it's not a type of STD ... ;)

Cheesy bones are a lowcarb crispy snacky thing; it's in the Recipes page, under Snacks ... http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/snack115.html

Enjoy, Doreen