Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   The toughest thing about the diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=52235)

SooCee Mon, Jul-22-02 06:27

The toughest thing about the diet

Just wondering what you guys think is the toughest part of the diet.
I don't like the cravings that I get for things people are eating around me. It is tough. :daze:
Also I love pasta, so I have a tough time there too.
Anyway thanks.

SooCee :wave:

Belle Mon, Jul-22-02 08:05

The toughest thing for me

The toughtest thing for me concerning the atkins program is the fact that the food processors make everything so easy. The bad thing is that almost all the processed food is bad for you. I find it hard, for example when I am at work, to not just grab a bag of chips and a coke, instead of drinking my water and eating nothing. I find that jerkey flavored with teryaki is actually quite good and low in carbs. I have to remind myself everyday of my weight loss, when my pants falling off of my hips don't, that anything I crave is not as good as the feeling I get when I lose more pounds.

Rkhinman Mon, Jul-22-02 08:38

giving up pasta is the hardest thing for me...well..actually a slice of cheesey crusty pizza is.

Heck I quit cold turkey with the cigars, cigarettes, and pipe tobacco when I started this diet and haven't craved them near as bad as a nice stuff crust pizza from pizza hut.

Ah well, but that's the price to pay to wanting to have a body like Englebert Humberdinct.

Tanyaskees Mon, Jul-22-02 08:41

The hardest thing for me is getting my water in on weekends. Everything else is relatively easy. I love this WOL.

Shark01 Mon, Jul-22-02 08:58

Having to be careful when going out to lunch with co-workers with respect to what restaurant we will choose :(

Kristine Mon, Jul-22-02 09:15

The hardest parts for me:
- being in the grocery store and smelling the bakery. :(
- being with friends/family/coworkers while they eat chips, fries, etc.
- not being able to be spontaneous, as Belle mentioned: I used to eat vending machine and convenience store junk all the time. :rolleyes:

missbetsy Mon, Jul-22-02 09:32

The hardest part

I agree with smelling the bakery at the grocery store. Also resisting all the beautiful seasonal fruits. And lacking variety among convenience foods when I don't want to or have the time to cook.

Ms Bungle Mon, Jul-22-02 15:03

I don't really have cravings anymore but high carb junk is everywhere and just seeing it puts the thought in my mind...It's everywhere!

Misty Mon, Jul-22-02 16:04

The only two foods I really miss are bananas and oatmeal, so it's not really the cravings. I would say the hardest part is limiting the cheese. Just knowing I can have it, makes me want to eat it for every meal.

caverjen Mon, Jul-22-02 19:40

At first it was orange juice. I used to have a glass first thing in the morning, before I even showered. That doesn't bother me anymore. Now I guess it's turning down my mom's homemade French bread. This is REAL homemade bread, from a sourdough starter she keeps, not breadmaker bread.

Jen

missbetsy Mon, Jul-22-02 20:23

Jen,

Wow! I love french bread. You must be a really, really, really, strong person. That sounds absolutely so incredibly difficult (to have a mom who is a talented baker). If you can resist that, you can accomplish anything! I am really impressed by your strength and congrats on reaching your goal too. It must feel wonderful.

Betsy :cool:

Aks Mon, Jul-22-02 22:29

Is being patient....I want to loose it all NOW! :daze:

SooCee Mon, Jul-22-02 22:52

Wow it is very interesting seeing what people have difficulty while doing this diet. Jen, I agree with Betsy it must be hard turning down the bread. It sounds so good :yum:
Anyway good luck to everyone.

SooCee :wave:

Marlaine Mon, Jul-22-02 23:44

SooCee....
Interesting thread that you started here! Thanks! There are a few things I wanted to comment on.

You mentioned: "I don't like the cravings that I get for things people are eating around me." Believe it or not.....this will eventually go away. It's a matter of getting time in doing LC....and knowing that it's for life. And it does honestly get easier! Eventually...we need to choose. LC and a slimmer self, or what we used to do...and living with those results.

Belle...
You don't need to be eating "nothing" on breaks at work. Feel free to be eating three smaller meals and three snacks or six smaller meals. It's actually good for you to do that. More even nutrition intake so metabolism may even pep up.

The challenge for me - There is a desire from time to time to not have to be so alert and watchful about what I eat. But then I look in the mirror or at a recent photo of myself and I like what I see. And I understand that I only got here by being careful and I'll need to continue to be careful if this is what I choose for myself.

Marlaine

havanah Tue, Jul-23-02 08:06

well i cook for my hubby and daughter, and havn't craved any of it, infact i have baked home made bread, and home made muffins for my hubby, and havn't wanted even one of them, or the batter or anything, the hard thing for me is: i work out three times a day... nothing to rigorous but i do it, anyway the hard part is if it rains or i have no time, i feel like i am gaining weight... so i guess it just that i feel horrible about myself if i don't work out like "i should"