Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   increase my fat??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=52038)

terasun Sat, Jul-20-02 18:27

increase my fat???

Ok, I am havinga heck of a time...
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to increase my fat intake.
I have been following a very strict induction schedule....
I have not cheated once in my soon to be 3 weeks...
But I have only lost a total of 10 pounds...
I know that 10#'s is great but I was just disappointed that with all my work I was not able to increase that by a bit more.
You see I am a results person,
If I don't see any results, I have a really hard time convincing myself that things are working and I will quit.
I know that that is really bad but that is how I have always been.

In the past week my weight has gone down to 188, up to 190 and then back down to 189, but that to me is not making any real headway.

I am not trying to sound like a jerk, I am just confused.

Anyway, the only thing I can think of is that I am not eating enough fat in order to make everything work smoothly.

I know that we aren't supposed to watch our calories,
but I have, and even though I am supposed to be eating anywhere from 1900-2400 cals, I am having a hard time eating more than 1200.
No, I don't soak things in butter before I eat them. But as well as trying to do this program correctly, I am trying to fight against the
low-cal/low-fat chains I have been anchored with all this time.

Well, I do plan on cooking with real butter more in order to increase my fat, but if anyone can give me any other pointers about ways to increase fats, and not cheeses (I think too much cheese has a tendency to stall me but I'm not sure)...
Please let me know.

I am so grateful to have found this program, I am feeling better about myself and the people around me every day.Sorry for all the venting, I have just had a V...E...R...Y...long week.

t

Rosebud Sat, Jul-20-02 18:48

Hi Terasun,

You vent all you like, matey, that's what we're here for! :there:

Let me start by saying 10 pounds in less than 3 weeks is absolutely wonderful. Congratulations!!!!

You might be interested to know that your question (How do I increase my fat?) is one of the most common questions to be asked.
For instance, check this thread: Getting calories up.

Do you use mayo at all? Either make your own or buy one with very little sugar (Hellman's is good) and add a dob here and there. And add butter to everything you can think of!

Cheers, T, and I hope you have a good weekend!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Lisa N Sat, Jul-20-02 19:13

Hi T!

I know 10 lbs doesn't seem like a lot, but really by the averages you are ahead of the game at this point. During induction the average weight loss is about 10% of what you need to lose, or about 6.8 lbs. in your case, so that 10 lbs. is really doing very well. Using good fats like olive oil and butter to cook and adding mayonnaise to tuna or salmon salad would be good ways to increase both your fats and calories. You could also use heavy cream (whipping cream) to make sauces from the pan drippings when you fry meat; just let it simmer for a little while until it gets as thick as you like it. This isn't necessarily a fast way to lose weight, but it's a way of eating that most people can stick with for the long term simply because you feel satisfied with what you can eat. When the pounds aren't dropping off as fast as you'd like, try to focus on the other benefits that you are getting from this WOE (like more energy, sounder sleep and just generally feeling better) and hang in there!

havanah Sun, Jul-21-02 20:40

ok, i am a little frustrated, i too have a big problem eating enough cal's... everyone says eat more fat... i hate the taste of fat... then i see these lists of high fat/low carb foods...and listed is oil and such... that is not a food, i guess what i am asking is what is something i can actually eat that is high fat/low carb, sorry i just can't drink a gallon of oil or eat a stick of butter... i can't even cook my eggs in oil withough feeling sick to my stomach or eating cheese that is melted and all the greese starts coming out of it, just makes me gag... i really need help with this, does anyone know any actually FOODs that are good to eat for this problem?
i would greatly appreciate a reply...thanks in advance

lesleyc Sun, Jul-21-02 20:50

Nuts...particularly macadamias are extremely high in fat (about 90% I think).

Be careful though....it is really eacy to over induldge, and make sure you count the carbs.

Also cream cheese, mayonnaise, tuna fish, are all good sources of fat.

lesley

lilwannabe Sun, Jul-21-02 22:40

Mmmmmmm...deep-fryed chicken wings sprinkled with parma...dipped in blue cheese dressing...oh ya!!! Just to die for!!!