Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Why can't I find a milk without sugar??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=51725)

Sleemie Thu, Jul-18-02 14:31

Why can't I find a milk without sugar???

I don't understand why I can't find something that's considered such a healthy food with no or very little sugar in it - milk. Even the "healthy" type of milks such as soy and rice have a lot of sugar. I want to eat healthy, cold cereals such as shredded wheat, etc. , but all the milks have sugar in them.

jaykay Thu, Jul-18-02 14:39

Milk has lactose in it - milk sugar. Its not added, it occurs naturally. Don't know about rice and soy milk.
Shredded wheat and other such cereals are a lot of carbs, are you on maintenance already? Otherwise, I think you may want to look at this, all the starch in shredded wheat gets converted into sugar inside you and causes an insulin reaction, making you hungry, helping you store fat etc. The cereals are more of a 'sugar' problem than the milk I think.
All the best, Jay :wave:

Natrushka Thu, Jul-18-02 16:32

Re: Why can't I find a milk without sugar???

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleemie
I want to eat healthy, cold cereals such as shredded wheat, etc. , but all the milks have sugar in them.

Sleemie, the world 'healthy' is what is working against you here. Grains are not part of Atkins, nor are they part of most LC Plans (especially not at the outset). Healthy is bacon and eggs, butter, cream, steak, chicken. Whole foods that are unprocessed and don't come in cellophane or boxes are healthy.

Have you read Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution? I'm sure that if you go back to the chapters on Induction you'll find the lists of foods that are permitted and the ones that are required. A look at these lists will confirm that the foods are whole foods that are healthy and good for you.

HTH
Nat

mmoranmic Thu, Jul-18-02 17:10

HI There:
I don't drink milk anymore but I have discovered soy drink/milk. WestSoy and one other brand make one that is dairy free and UNSWEETENED. You really have to look to find it but it is available. I also noticed that coconut milk has little carbs. For cereal I cook steel cut oats and only eat a small amount. Nat is right about that processed stuff, loaded with sugar and salt! Good luck to you, Maureen

DuPont Thu, Jul-18-02 17:36

Lactaid

Lactaid has 13g carbs per cup. Is that less than regular milk? We are all lactose intolerant in my house.

Lisa N Sat, Jul-20-02 08:32

13 grams of carb for the lactaid is about the same amount found in regular milk.

lisavasil Thu, Aug-01-02 17:08

has anyone tried this yet?

all this cereal talk is making me crave it! has anyone tried this ?

http://www11.netrition.com/lowcarbs...omeal_page.html

FLAX O MEAL
Introducing the very first Low Carb Hot Cereal!

Finally!

A dream come true for those living the low carb lifestyle. A hot breakfast cereal available in 3 different flavors.

Rich in healthy flax seed meal, each serving has less than 2 digestible carbs, 11g of protein and a whopping 10g of dietary fiber.

Just add hot water!

Simple to prepare, FLAX O MEAL comes in Cinnamon & Spice, Vanilla Almond, and Butter Pecan. Chocolate has been discontinued.

Nutritious and delicious, try FLAX O MEAL for breakfast today!

razzle Thu, Aug-01-02 20:21

milk has sugar in it cuz little cows would die if it didn't.

it's very very healthy for little cows. :) for people? that's a matter of great debate.

skyspinner Fri, Aug-02-02 11:59

Re: has anyone tried this yet?

Quote:
Originally posted by lisavasil
all this cereal talk is making me crave it! has anyone tried this ?

http://www11.netrition.com/lowcarbs...omeal_page.html

FLAX O MEAL
Introducing the very first Low Carb Hot Cereal!

[snip]

No, the cost really put me off! But it sounds like a good, nutritious cereal if one can just solve the milk issue. Making milk from heavy cream and water might do it...oh, heck, I could just eat it w/ cream! I've always been a "cream hog". :yay:

Please let us know if you try it, OK? Thanks!

Wanda L Fri, Aug-02-02 12:57

I heard someone in this Forum saying that when a recipie ask for milk do dilute Heavy cream with water to make milk.

Wanda L.

Tanyaskees Fri, Aug-02-02 13:12

I just got my Flax-O-Meal in last night. It does not call for milk, just hot water. I added butter, one tbsp of heavy cream, half a packet of splenda and hot water. It was pretty good. If you like oatmeal, you will like this.

skyspinner Fri, Aug-02-02 13:56

Gee, why not just use heavy cream?

This stuff sounds good!

Tanyaskees Fri, Aug-02-02 14:22

skyspinner, it really is pretty good. I ordered it from netrition and it's on sale for $6.99. Ten servings in one package, thats less them a $1.00 for breakfast, not too bad.