Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I have a weird question... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=48516)

rebecky Sun, Jun-23-02 19:08

I have a weird question...

I was wondering what exactly it took to knock someone out of ketosis and decided to cruise the internet looking for answers. I came across this and was wondering if it held any truth?

Quote:
Once you're well into ketosis, you may be
able to eat nachos, fried chicken or seafood, fried cheese sticks, or chicken-fried steak or
chicken-fried chicken (without the gravy) without going out of ketosis.

That was taken from: eating out and ketosis

Can anyone shed some light on this? I know this is a stupid question, but I always thought that any intake of sugar, flour, starch, etc. would throw one out of ketosis?

Niky Brady Sun, Jun-23-02 19:15

Veeeerrrrryyyy Interesting!!

I don't know the answer to this question but am really curious now!!! Please don't tell me it's true because that will really have am impact on my willpower and reasong skills. I may not be able to talk myself out of eat illegal foods!!! Anyone??

rebecky Sun, Jun-23-02 19:19

Oh no!

Quote:
Originally posted by Niky Brady
Please don't tell me it's true because that will really have am impact on my willpower and reasong skills. I may not be able to talk myself out of eat illegal foods!!! Anyone??

I didn't think about it that way! I don't know if I want to know the answer now or not! LOL :daze:

Lisa N Sun, Jun-23-02 19:35

You know...I really don't know the answer to that one, but I think the point of the article was that if faced with a situation in which you truly don't have any good low carb choices, to do what you can to miniminize the damage. Even if eating those things doesn't throw you out of ketosis (eating just one, not all of them at one time or in one day), it's certainly likely to provoke some cravings that you really don't want to have to deal with if you can avoid it.

Natrushka Sun, Jun-23-02 19:56

I think what they are refering to in that quote is eating ONE of those things, and not all of them in one sitting. I know that I regularly (like once a week, or once every two weeks) have the spicey grilled chicken (sans bun) at Wendy's with no ill effects.

The reasoning, to me, is that if you're out and you have no truly LC choices then eating something with a few carbs, just that once, isn't going to throw a huge monkey wrench into your WOE. Of course, a lot of this will depend on your CCLL (I know mine is quite high).

HTH
Nat

rebecky Sun, Jun-23-02 20:04

I wouldn't dare. LOL

I wouldn't even attempt to eat any of those things because I know they would trigger the carb demon in me and I would lose all control.

I kinda figured that they meant eating only one of those things at a time would be safe IF there were no other alternatives, but I was just shocked to see that one could consume something like that and not be thrown out of ketosis. I am no whiz when it comes to the scientific explanations of how this diet works, I just know it does and to read something like that just kinda threw me....but I'm all better now :D

Thelma Mon, Jun-24-02 06:39

Reading this, brought this post to mind:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=48517

Who knows!!!????

agonycat Mon, Jun-24-02 06:56

I agree with Nat.

I have found that eating something higher in carbs than normally allowed ONCE in a while normally will not do any major damage.

However you have to realize one thing......... The way we were eating before starting DANDR we ate that crap every day.....and gained!

If you stay truely low carb 7 days a week, 365 days a year, one meal every couple of weeks that is out of the oridinary isn't going to kill your diet. Making a habit of eating that way will.

So take that article with a grain of salt. You can have something like that *IF* you have enough will power not to allow it to become a habit. Otherwise, I would stick to what is allowed and put those foods on your no no list.

:)

tofi Mon, Jun-24-02 09:24

I notice that each of those foods mentioned is a protein with some carbs. I wonder if the 'mostly protein' character of the foods would minimize the effect of the carbs? Seems to me that is how plans like "Somercizing" work. Eat protein first or mostly and the carbs don't affect the blood sugar so much, so maybe they also go almost 'unnoticed as carbs?

Just MHO.

:wave:

Lisa N Mon, Jun-24-02 09:52

Eating protein with your carbs does minimize their effect and slow down the rate at which they are absorbed and the impact that they will have on your blood sugar and insulin production, but it doesn't cancel them out completely. If you're going to eat something higher in carbs, definitely eat protein with it.

fridayeyes Mon, Jun-24-02 10:33

For what it's worth, my sister's wedding was this weekend, and I did eat some carbs (including dessert) at both the rehearsal dinner and at the wedding. Thursday dinner was grilled salmon and veggies, salad, bread, a few drinks and a shared mousse dessert. Friday was chicken parmesan, rice pilaf, veggies, a roll, champagne, a real Coke and wedding cake. (Kinda strange, but I was more afraid of the aspartame than the sugar.) On both days, I was near to zero carbs up until the dinner, and then I ate the meals as they were served, without trying to come in under the 1 hour "Heller" limit. I either never left ketosis, or I was back by the time I tested before lunch on Saturday. After that, it was back to the straight and narrow (i.e. induction)!

Basically, this WOL does allow for a few deviations as long as they are truly once-in-a-while deviations and not everyday lapses. Do be careful not to use this example as license to cheat at will tho. Caveat Eator! (I can't believe I just typed that, pardon me while I run!) :)

Cheers,

Friday

rebecky Mon, Jun-24-02 12:04

Not a license to cheat.

Oh it wasn't taken as a license to cheat I guess my point got lost somewhere and that was that I had misunderstood on what it would take to throw someone out of ketosis, as I thought it would take very little; which might be true for some as we are all different. I thought that ketosis was a much more delicate state and the slightest sway would wreck it.

I don't use the ketostix, because I feel that like the scale, that they would just give me something else to obsess over. LOL So, I don't measure my ketosis or even know when I am in it or not...but since the weight is coming off, I guess I am doing something right.

One good thing I have learned from this thread though, is that if I do decide to have that deli sandwhich or the like, that I don't have to feel the guilt of "ruining my diet". I choose to eat this way for life, and life happens to all of us, so we just move on and count that as one day of weakness out of many strong days behind us and ahead of us.