Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Hot hot hot! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=47675)

fridayeyes Sat, Jun-15-02 18:49

Hot hot hot!

Ok, today is the first day that has qualified as 'bloody hot' for me here in good ol' southern California. When it gets this hot (100+) my appetite goes to zip, zero, nada. My sum total food consumption for the day consists of 4 sausage links eaten cold and about a gallon and a half of ice water. It's almost 6 pm at the moment, and I'm just starting to feel a bit of hunger. I have a yummy salmon salad planned, with a lovely balsamic vinaigrette dressing, and I can probably get myself to drink a heavy cream protein shake. Usually, I rejoice in the arrival of my 'summer' appetite because it means I naturally drift to crisp, green salad veggies, lots of cool drinks, fruits such as peaches and strawberries and later in the evenings after it cools off, grilled or cold meats. As far as LC goes, none of that is a problem (well, except maybe the peaches). HOWEVER....

If I eat to my appetite on days like this, I will be under 1500 cals for sure, and possibly under 1000.

I also have little taste for fat when it's hot, and having just learned that fat is my friend, I'm a bit concerned about how little of it I will be eating if left to my own devices over the summer. I absolutely do not want to sabotage my metabolism right now, either.

So, should I be forcing myself to eat when I am not hungry to keep the calories up, or should I accept my natural tendency to go on what is basically a protein-only mini-fast?

Thanks again for all the support, friends. :) You've all been wonderful.

Big hugs!

Friday

SlimShAdY Sat, Jun-15-02 21:31

and to think I wanna move to Cali.

I hate hott weather :rolleyes:

If ya can force yourself to eat without throwing up I'd say you'd have to ..to keep yer metabolism going and stuff..

I hate eating. When I lose my appetite I can't force myself or I'll throw up..lol Usually I'll either not eat or drink a protein shake.

fridayeyes Sat, Jun-15-02 22:10

Hot day update: Calories 865, 34 g carbs (11 fiber), 44 g fat, 89 g protein.

That's w/o the protein shake that I am not hungry for.

To force feed or not to force feed, that is the question. Whether tis nobler in truth to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous metabolism.... LOL :) :) My apologies to the Bard.

Cheers,

Friday

Lisa N Sun, Jun-16-02 17:35

Things to eat in hot weather....

Salads with lots of dressing (low carb, of course)
Strawberries with heavy cream
Cold tuna or chicken salad with lots of mayo
Cucumbers in Mayo/Vinegar/Splenda dressing
Protein Shakes
Cold Grilled chicken strips dipped in garlic mayonnaise
Chicken or Shrimp Caesar Salad

HTH

Lisa