Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Ketosis and I gain weight? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468944)

lkelley36 Fri, Jul-24-15 09:02

Ketosis and I gain weight?

This is sooooo wrong!!! I am hoping that it is what that time of month used to be. I still get pms symtoms, but haven't had a period in a few months.... or our no crust or sauce pizza we ate last night. Put my jeans on that I wore last weekend and could hardly wear them!!! (Not that they were loose before, but they didn't feel like this...!!!) Uggggg :confused: :help:

Miller83 Fri, Jul-24-15 09:40

I don't want to get too nosey here but I was just trying to get the facts. Do you typically miss periods? If so hormone imbalances can cause weight issues. It could be just fluid retention? Sorry I'm probably not much help, just throwing ideas out there

msmum1977 Fri, Jul-24-15 10:19

With a missed period and tight jeans - maybe a pregnancy test is in order? :)

lkelley36 Fri, Jul-24-15 12:02

lolol!!!!! Well I am 52 and have my tubes tied...ha...good one.... I am really just wondering since I have started missing periods...it seems I still have the symtoms of swelling, snappyness and craziness...lol.....

Miller83 Fri, Jul-24-15 12:06

Ahh, I see so maybe hormones? I have PCOS and it throws my cycles and hormones into a tailspin. I have trouble losing weight unless I do the low carb because the PCOS causes insulin resistance. This is the only lifestyle for me and my lovely jacked up hormones HAHA! :) May want to discuss hormone meds or options with the Dr?? Or get some bloodwork done to see if anything is off. I am having to go back on birth control just to get my cycles back to normal. We have 3 kids and we are so done lol but I am tired of crazy periods and spotting in between cycles.

lkelley36 Fri, Jul-24-15 12:23

Well I am hoping that the missed periods will be forever....ha!!! But the symtoms should too!!! ugg So yeah I do break out in sweats in the days and the nights!!. ...yuck... Does everyone have to take hormones when you go through this menopause thing?

Miller83 Fri, Jul-24-15 16:58

I'm not exactly sure on that one, but I do know my step-mom doesn't take them and she seems to do ok but my mom takes them and swears by them. She was having horrible symptoms, hot flashes, sweating, cranky, oh boy was she cranky lol. But since she has been on them she feels like a new woman :) But they may not be for everyone. My step-mom said she heard they can cause cancer so she refused them. I don't know if they really do, anymore everything causes cancer according to the news :agree:

Nicekitty Fri, Jul-24-15 21:27

Menopause is famous for causing non-rational weight gain, along with all kinds of other lovely symptoms (welcome to the he// that is menopause!). I would highly suggest getting a saliva hormone test, so you at least have some idea of where you are at. If the symptoms are extremely uncomfortable for you, then yes, I would consider hormone replacement. I'm sold on bio-identicals, but it's difficult to find a regular doctor that deals with those. There really is a dearth of information and help out there for those of us who are "hormonally challenged"!

Neanderpam Sat, Jul-25-15 03:53

I took compounded bio identical hormone replacement for four years (after waiting two years in horrible symptoms )

When you see 'HRT' that means test tube, synthetics OR conjugated pregnant mare urine. I didn't want that.. that CAN cause cancer. If you see BHRT or bio identical HRT..that's from plants.

I wanted the SAME identical hormones I'd always had in my body.. so I went to a doctor and got transdermal (rub on skin or use vaginally).

You might do a search for either 'Anti aging doctors' in your area, OR "BioTe pellet doctors'.. or 'Bio identical hormone replacement in your area.

BTW.. speaking of 'regular doctors' who 'deal with that'.. there are now quite a few brands of bio identicals on the market. Prometrium (oral progesterone) or estradial (that's bio identical estrogen) in patches or rub ons.. ask your doctor.. and search for brand names of prescription BIO IDENTICALS.

kirkor Sat, Jul-25-15 20:49

What caloric deficit are you running?

lkelley36 Mon, Jul-27-15 10:19

Thanks, I fasted the next day and felt better, maybe lost some water. I look up docs, I wonder if insurance covers them...

Thanks!!!

Neanderpam Tue, Jul-28-15 03:57

My insurance at the time covered the doctor visits and all the tests, and paid also for my NON compounded hormones. Back then there were NO bio identical hormones developed under brand name.. now there is.

lkelley36 Tue, Jul-28-15 09:27

Thanks Pam!

Have you heard anything about this? I posted it on another thread. And oh my gosh! My Armour is getting expensive!!

Well I stumbled on this.... I take Armour Thyroid medicine and have been having a time with my weight. Changing nothing and gaining some. I was losing at the end of last year....very little, but still. Anyway, I am not the only one....this sucks! Oh and Allergan now owns them. below is a consumer affair link with others commenting...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/rx/armour.html

This is Allergans website showing they have Armour now. But I just looked at Forest Labs site and they say they have plenty.

http://www.allergan.com/products/ke...ory=-1&group=-1

gotsomeold Tue, Jul-28-15 10:00

It has been 12 years since I started menopause, 9 since the active symptoms went away. I no longer retain water once a month. But I do have a ravenously hungry day on or around the 24th of each month. Old cycles never die............

lkelley36 Tue, Jul-28-15 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold
It has been 12 years since I started menopause, 9 since the active symptoms went away. I no longer retain water once a month. But I do have a ravenously hungry day on or around the 24th of each month. Old cycles never die............

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! :exclm: :exclm: Really!!! That long!! But thanks for telling me.... I get so snappy, and with weight gain, I get even worse!!! ugggg.....