Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   induction dizziness, headaches, weakness (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=4606)

cupiedoll Wed, May-02-01 04:29

Hi all,

I just started a serious induction two days ago. I've been fiddling with low-carbing for a week, but then hubby would bring some chocolate home...(grr!!!). Now it's just meat, cheese, eggs, and leafy greens, and tons of water.

Two days in and I've had a crippling migraine (made me vomit) and today I am feeling kind of light headed and dizzy, with a slight headache. This won't go on for two weeks, will it!!? I have been going to aerobics classes 3-4 times a week for the past couple of weeks, but I don't think it would be particuarly wise to go today, for fear of collapsing.

I've only got about 15 pounds to lose (5 7', 150 lbs).

I see there are some other Canadians living in England, which is what I am. :)

Karen:)

sherrybee Wed, May-02-01 04:57

ahhhhhhh.....getting flashbacks!!!!

HMMMMMMMMM......sounds like the normal carb withdrawl symptoms.....i too was tired, weak, and muscle aches....the dizziness and headaches came just the other day when (after seven weeks) i had a slight "cheat"......your body (during induction) is looking for and craving carbs to feed off of......just like and alcoholic after having a few dry days, his body craves a drink.....and as far as that headache and dizziness is concerned---did you by chance eat hubby's gift of chocolate.......that could throw you for a loop!!!!!:rolleyes:

welcome to our forum....lots of great people here that are knowledgable and supportive......they are great.......YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!!!!!!

Debra Wed, May-02-01 05:36

When I first went on a low carb WOE, I experienced major headaches and a general ukky feeling. It only lasted for the first few days and then I was just fine after that.

I am back on induction (AGAIN) and so far, so good. No headaches or side effects.

Hang in there, and stay away from chocolate..... I heard it was a trigger for people who tend to get migraines.

Hope you feel better soon.
Debra

KitCat Thu, May-03-01 11:45

I'd add a few more carbs to your daily intake. Are you measuring your ketones? I believe that they shouldn't be more than moderate. If they are you need to add carbs.

Karen Thu, May-03-01 13:32

Hi Karen,

If your on induction, stick with the 20 gram per day rule. It's really hard to go cold turkey but this is the best way to catapult yourself into a new WOE. It happens to almost everyone and it will go away. How quickly it goes, is an individual thing, but generally 3-4 days is it.

Did you stop drinking coffee too?

Drink lots of water. I mean lots. It helps! And if you're not taking any vitamin and mineral supplements yet, it's time to start.

Karen

nrussell Thu, May-03-01 22:42

Hi

Keep up the good work.

I agree with Karen but like you experienced very severe symptoms. I didnt drink enough water so that may help. However I found by day 6 I was still very ill so I did increase my carbs and balance them across the day better, it helped a lot and I still lost lots of weight and am still losing.

Basically stick with it as long as you can but if you get to the point where its do something or go off the diet which is what I faced, add in a few more carbs.

Nicola

cupiedoll Fri, May-04-01 03:06

Hi to all of you very kind people!

Well it is day 5 and I have come down with a cold! And it's my, er, "thang" and it seems like I'm bleeding to death (sorry to the men) -- what a weird few days its been. I am not dizzy anymore and my headaches have subsided, thankfully. I still don't have much energy, but it isn't hindering my activities except I try to go to the aerobics offerred at my workplace during lunch, but I haven't gone this week because my body was not feeling up to it.

To answer all your questions, I stopped drinking coffee upon induction, but I wasn't a major coffee hound to begin with - maybe 2 cups a day if that. I'm not that good at measuring carbs, but my typical day has thus far been bacon and eggs for breakfast, salad and meat (no dressing) for lunch, some sort of meat and leafy green veg for supper, and cheese strings and pepperoni sticks for snacks, and lots of water.

I live in a small town in the UK and therefore haven't a clue where I'd find Ketostix, unfortunately. I will go out and buy a multivitamin this weekend, I promise!

I am quite pleased with my willpower, and I must brag that I was in a conference here at work for the first two days of induction that was fully catered and I didn't even touch the fancy open faced sandwiches, the cakes and the pies that were layed out for us to eat between meetings! Every Friday at work (today), there is a "coffee and biscuits" for employees where there are the most fantastic chocolate cookies, but I can honestly say that I will go this week, and next, and the next after that, and not touch one!

I must thank you all for your support and helpful comments. It looks like I have found a really supportive group to do lowcarbing with!

Karen
xo

agonycat Fri, May-04-01 06:27

Karen, check your local drug store for the ketostix. They should have them or can order them for you.

joanne42 Fri, May-04-01 06:53

Cupie I went through the same thing when starting low carbing. Don't forget your body isn't getting allt he sugar that it is used to getting. It's all a normal part of the carbo withdrawal syndrome..Heyyy I think I've created a new disease.>LOL

doreen T Fri, May-04-01 07:40

hi cupiedoll Karen

The other folks have given some really good advice. And good for you resisting those biscuits and goodies.

A couple of suggestions I have - add some FAT to your lunch salad. Olive oil would be perfect. The monounsaturated fat would have a beneficial effect, as well provide a little more satiety to the meal.. :) .. If you choose bottled salad dressing, buy non-sweet types, and choose "regular" or full-fat versions, not "light" or "fat-free", which have added starches and sugars to make up for the absent oil. Also, many cooked green vegetables are quite low in carbs, and would help to add some variety to your menu besides just a leafy salad. Broccoli, zucchini (courgette), asparagus, cauliflower (ok, it's not green ..:rolleyes: ), green beans, spinach ..

If you can get your hands on a good food counts book, that would be very helpful for you, especially for those foods that don't come with nutrition data on the label. Corrine Netzer's "the Complete Book of Food Counts" is excellent, and I know it's available around the world (published by Dell). An excellent on-line resource is the USDA nutrient database, http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl There's also a free, downloadable database of over 6200 foods http://www.silvertriad.com/ -- once it's on your desktop, you don't need to be connected to the internet to use it, and it's set up to look like a food label, so very easy to use .. :)

Willpower is a wonderful thing, but remember that lowcarbing is not about denial, going without or being hungryl. The only restricted food-stuff is carbohydrates --- fats and proteins you may consume whenever hungry and as much as you need to be filled. Some other members here indicate they take lowcarb snacks and foods with them, so that when others are munching, they have something too. It gets hard after a time, to constantly go without and feel deprived, and some folks do get frustrated and abandon the program because of this.

All the best to you, and I do look forward to reading more posts of your lowcarbing success!

Doreen

patti219 Fri, May-04-01 08:06

I too was guessing at my carb levels until I found fitday.com. It is sort of a pain to go in and plug in all my foods but it keeps a terrific log of exactly what you put into your body and shows you everything you need to know. I found that my carbs were down to around 10 a day so I was able to add a nice hearty fiber intensive dark bread to my breakfast. Good Luck!