Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Glucose Screening (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44572)

Elihnig Wed, May-15-02 12:19

Glucose Screening

I'm supposed to go for a Glucose Screening test this week. It involves drinking a sugary drink and then having blood drawn an hour later. If the results are not good, I would be required to go back for the Glucose Tolerance Test which would take several hours.

I know Dr. Atkins says in his book that if you want accurate readings you should eat at least 300 grams of carbs in the days before you take that test.

What happens if you are low carbing?

Would the test run normal but just not show as much of an insulin spike?

Right now I'm planning on staying low carb anyways, but I was wondering if anyone knows about the effects.

This test is supposed to see if I'm developing gestational diabetes.

Thanks,
Beth

Banana Wed, May-15-02 14:19

Does everyone have this test?

Hi Beth,

Congrats on the awaited arrival! I've got three little ones of my own, they're great fun, tiring, but I wouldn't be without them.

Is this test a standard test that everyone has in the States, or are they testing you because they think you have gestational diabetes?

In the UK we don't have this test as a standard procedure, they just take the urine sample test every time you see the midwife.

What I'm saying basically is, if it's just a routine test, do you have to have it done at all??

Good luck keep up updated.
Banana :wave:

Elihnig Thu, May-16-02 08:42

This is a new standard test. It wasn't done when I had my daughter 9 years ago, but from what I've read it's pretty standard nowadays. I'm going later this afternoon. I made sure that my lunch has at least a good amount of protein in it. I may even have a nut snack before I drive over. This is just like a pretest. If there are problems or abnormal readings then I would have to take the longer test.

Beth

Shellyf34 Fri, May-17-02 11:11

FYI - You don't HAVE to take this test. In fact, if you are already eating lowcarb, you can explain this to them. Remember, this is your body and this is just a standard test (like how they make you get on the scale during regular appointments, last time I flat out told them "I am not getting on the scale," and they said Ok). There is no way they could get me to drink that poison now. I also think you are supposed to take that test on an empty stomach, but I can't quite remember...

I had the test when I was pregnant six years ago, I tested "high" (I knew I would) and then I had to take that horrible 5 hour test at the hospital. I know I am insulin resistant and knew this would happen. Guess what? They told me to stay away from simple carbs and fruit juice (only whole fruit), etc. I was already doing that! In fact, I only gained 22 pounds with my second child, where I had gain 55 with my first (eating "healthy" pasta, fat free frozen yogurt and syrup, orange juice, bread, etc.).

Be prepared if you take it, you will feel very ill! :(

-Shelly

Elihnig Fri, May-17-02 13:23

Well, I'm probably saved from the really nasty effects because I'm not being all that strict all the time. See journal for examples of eating behavior.

I took it. The first few sips were fine, then I took a big drink and it kindof got stuck in my throat. Good thing they gave me some water to help get it down. They didn't want me to drive anywhere because I might get blurred vision or something. Of course, while I was in the reading room, things started to look strange, but sometimes I think it's the power of suggestion. The baby was kicking a bunch, like she does after I eat. An hour later they took 2 vials of blood and sent me on my way. It's a good thing I live close to there. I started getting tired on the way home. I laid down until my husband brought me supper. After I ate I felt better.

I knew the scale would say bad things, but I wouldn't tell them not to weigh me. Just the cooperative part of me I guess. I like my regular Dr. and she's just trying to do her job. I gained like 60 pounds last pregnancy, I'm up to like 23 now. A bit ahead of where I should be. At least I know this time what to do when I'm done to remedy any extra pounds.

Elihnig

Shellyf34 Fri, May-17-02 15:46

Oh! I definitely believe you should get weighed when you are pregnant, I just don't see the neccessity of it when you are not (unless you have gained like eighty pounds in the last year for no reason). Part of it is that I ALWAYS weigh 10 pounds more on my Dr.'s scale, no matter what other scale I have been using, and I refused to feel bad about myself 'cause their scale is 10 pounds off. I found out it was no big deal to them! :)

-Shelly

Hope your feeling better! :D

Elihnig Fri, May-17-02 16:14

My Dr.'s scale is about 12 more pounds than my scale at home. Since I have always used my scale at home, those are the numbers I go by.

I have seriously gotten out of the habit of weighing myself at home. Just around my Dr.'s appointments, and when I think there is going to be a change in my favor!

Elihnig