Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cheated - need advice (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44350)

LivingLow Mon, May-13-02 10:24

Cheated - need advice

OK, so on day 11 of induction I caved and had a piece of white chocolate cheesecake. I think at the time I justified it because it wasn't "cakey" - more "cheesy". ANways, I know I blew it because of all the sugar, sigh.

So, two questions:

1) Should I now restrict my carbs below 20 to make up for it, and if so, for how long? Or should I do someting else? And what will that do? Is that enough to knock me out of ketosis? (According to FitDay I had about 80g of carbs that day)

2) That day was particularly bad in that I had some 3200 calories according to FitDay - what does taking in WAY too many calories on one particular day do, anything?

Thanks for the support and advice!

LivingnotsoLow

Shellyf34 Mon, May-13-02 10:35

your going to be fine...

Chalk it up to being human, take a deep breath and move on. Just go back to eating lowcarb and don't worry about trying to go below twenty grams of carbs, it doesn't work that way.

After inducton, try making your own chocolate cheese cake (I think there is a recipe for it in the recipe section). That way you won't be as tempted by the high carb version.

-Shelly

sailfish Mon, May-13-02 12:02

These things happen ... the important thing is to realize that you were tempted and you gave in to the temptation. Think about what you can do to avoid the temptation in the future. I know that when I first started and when I restarted earlier this year - I had to completely avoid places that had things like that - for example, i could not go into a Starbucks becuase the sweets were just too much for me to avoid. Now I can go into any sweet shop or bakery and not even think about eating any of that stuff!

Good Luck!

rustpot Mon, May-13-02 12:43

The Cheesecakes are winning

Cheesecake 2 Humans 0

I had a little run in with a Strawberry Cheescake at the week end.

You can read about it in the confessions section

agonycat Mon, May-13-02 12:52

I believe Dr Atkin's suggests that on those times we falter on our way to eating healthier, that we drop down to induction levels for a few days to hit ketosis again and then continue on where we were in OWL.

LivingLow Mon, May-13-02 12:55

Thanks all...this forum rocks!

kimberlina Mon, May-13-02 13:21

cheesecake!

YUM!!!! my personal favorite dessert!!!!! of course, i have tried EVERY sugar free recipe out there, and love the freedom we have in this plan.

since this is a WOE for LIFE.......we all make mistakes, and we learn, and grow, and MOVE ON! the most important thing is to get right back on track!!!!!

good luck!

Lisa N Mon, May-13-02 14:14

I'd just go back to induction again and maybe add go a few more days beyond 14 to make up for the slip. I'm in no position to talk since I gave into the siren call of a killer fudge brownie at an office munchie day today. I've been doing this for a year with very few cheats and I physically feel ill right now from the sugar buzz...yuck! I won't be doing that again for a long time! I'm just going back to where I was when I made a bad choice and going on from there. No use crying over chowed down brownies. ;)

blurtygirt Mon, May-13-02 15:39

ive done it too

i dont feel so bad after reading yours cos i cheated today too with a snack size time out. I TOO WAS ON DAY 11 OF INDUCTION. i felt so guilty after i had done it but we are only human and learn by our mistakes. I thought i have got two options give in and waste 2 weeks of hell or put it down to experience . luckily i chose the second one . dont worrry too much. keep p the good work. :D

Shellyf34 Tue, May-14-02 10:24

I call eating a low fat diet, sticking to 1500 calories and day, working out like a maniac and still GAINING WEIGHT Hell. I would hardly call eating lowcarb Hell. This way of eating is more like salvation for most folks. Dang! I have to eat MORE butter? Do I HAVE to put Bernaise sauce on my steak? ;)

-Shelly

kimberlina Tue, May-14-02 11:12

in total agreement!

Shelly,
i agree whole heartedly. now this is LIVING!!!!!!!!!!

who would have ever thought that real butter and cream cheese could be a daily (well almost daily) part of my life!!!!! and melted cheese on ANY veggie is good!

i have never felt better and have a whole new lease on life and endless opportunity in my kitchen. this is FUN!!!!!!!!!

mbschlgr Wed, May-15-02 07:45

months of cheating!

Don't worry about it, I've been cheating for months and finally realized that it's time to get back to it, I jumped back into induction and am already feeling great.

Don't beat yourself up over a cheat cause that will prevent you from moving on. You cheated, admitted it and are ready to rock and roll again. :thup:

I kept looking at it this way, oh 2 lbs, no big deal, oh 6 lbs no big deal I'll get rid of it before summer, well, I did it, 10 lbs, I'm back with it and not going to get upset from a lapse, just learn from it. :eek:

Your cheat is not a big deal (as long as you don't make it your WOE again!!! Like I did this winter LOL)

:Party: