Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Specific Exercise Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   [BFL] question for anyone with BFL experience! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=43269)

FranS Wed, May-01-02 18:04

question for anyone with BFL experience!

This is going to sound like a really stupid question, but here goes:
I made the switch from PP to BFL three weeks ago and I love it! Planning the meals etc does take extra thought but how I feel right now is a great motivator.
I am very much enjoying the first thing in the AM exercise...I feel like I'm pushing myself as much as I can doing my weight workout--trying for that 10--using as much weight as I can to do the required reps...by the end of the last set of 12, I can't hardly get another lift out...jello muscles!
Funny thing, I have yet to experience any soreness the next day. My husband insists I'm not working hard enough...I should be sore or there isn't any 'good stuff' happening.
Is he right? Should I be increasing the weight for less reps or just keep on as I am and gradually increase as I feel I can?
Welcome to any suggestions (or just reassurance!)

Niky Brady Wed, May-01-02 20:22

Lucky girl....

As long as you are hitting you 10s I wouldn't worry. The first few weeks I didn't feel a thing and I wasn't taking my glutamine yet. Consider yourself lucky . I know what it's like to want to feel that burn but you will eventually, at least I do (even WITH my glutamine). congrats on starting BFL!!!

TeriDoodle Thu, May-02-02 04:49

I called BFL hotline about this very question....and they said getting the reps in is more important that increasing the weight. In other words, use the most weight possible but get the required number of reps in.

Pay close attention to the "intensities" of your sets and record them. This will help you plan your next workout. After a couple of weeks you should be able to increase a little bit. IE, this week you start your BB Presses at 15 lbs for 12 reps (5), 20# for 10 (5), 25# for 8(6) , 30# for 6 (8), etc. Next workout try increasing each by 5 lbs. and if there's a set that you can't complete, make a note ...."only did 4 reps at 30#" so next time you'll know to lower the weight again... you're not quite ready. But sometimes you'll surprise yourself and be able to complete the whole routine at a higher weight! Keeping records and trying to increase it each time are important.

I'm in week 4 (not an expert!) but for comparison, at this point I've only been able to increase each set by about 5 lbs. from my Week 1 starting weights. I've heard that there's a big jump in strength after 4-6 wks.

Not sore??? The only thing I can suggest about this is perhaps you need to concentrate on your form....make sure you are doing the exercises slowly and purposely. I am usually not as sore as I expected but I take glutamine which helps....but I'm usually sore somewhere!

Hope that helps! Keep up the good work!!!

harley78 Thu, May-02-02 05:22

I was sore the first week and then nothing, but after my fourth week when I switched the exercises I was doing I was really sore again and now nothing, I've expecting once I switch my exercises again I will be sore. I do take glutamine everyday, I think everyone is different. I was worried because I wasn't sore after everyworkout, but I am doing ok, I'm at the end of my 7th week and I've gained 8 pounds of muscle, so I must be doing something right:)

SiZzLE Fri, May-03-02 14:12

It always takes me a day after I work out to feel the soreness...but nobody wants to be "too" sore, because it leads to not wanting to work out because it hurts to move lol! My hardest body part to train and get "the burn" is my abs. Oh sure I get the initial burn when I am doing them, but no soreness, ever. Makes you wonder if the abs are working at all lol.

Natrushka Fri, May-03-02 15:29

Not sure how I missed this one, but i did :rolleyes:

I don't have much more to add except to say that there have been weeks where I had 'no pain' and weeks where walking was difficult - the results have been consistent - there is new muscle under my fat. What matters is hitting your 10s and striving to increase your weight. If form is correct and you're lifting as much as you possibly can and you're not feeling it a few days later then that's just your make up. Be sure you do allow for days inbetween, even if muscles aren't hurting - this is when growth occurs.

Nat

FranS Fri, May-03-02 16:42

Changes alread

I had one of those "holy smokes!" moments today...I noticed (with some degree of shock)that the shape of my biceps has really become much more noticeable and defined...hubby said the "rear view" is already improved in jeans...all this on C1W3D6!!!!!
Add to that feeling great to boot?
How encouraging is that! :D

RANDY Fri, Nov-15-02 12:13

In an Inteview, Mike Mentzer (The king of Hi Intesity training) said he never got sore. Even when trainig for the Mr. Universe. From experience being to sore = too much muscle trama. We need to work with our bodies, not against them. Stimulate the muscle with perfect form and intensity, then rest and grow...

suzimsm Sat, Nov-16-02 20:50

Fran~I just started BFL/LC last Monday. I have done the BFL workouts in the past though. I first started doing strength training almost 3 years ago. The first time I did a really good work I could barely walk the next day. Over the past three years I usually experience soreness when I switch to a new routine. But........This is so strange because I started low carbing the beginning of October. I hadn't really been strength training much during that time. Mostly doing cardio. As I mentioned I started BFL this last Monday. I have not been sore this week. I have no idea why. I know my workouts are good. Actually better than they used to be. I should be sore but I'm not. Does any one know if it could be because I'm eating so much more protein? I'm not worried about it because I know how I feel during my workouts. In fact after I work out a certain body part, for example my shoulders and I rest for 2 minutes I can feel them so I know I'm accomplishing something. But still I think its unusual that I'm not sore after wards. Today I did a really good LB work out then came home and did some heavy duty yard work. I'll let you know if I'm sore tomorrow!