Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Is this normal? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=43133)

Beanybabe Tue, Apr-30-02 10:30

Is this normal?

Hello all,

I am new to the Atkins diet and am on the 3rd day of induction. My husband is also doing it with me for support, not to mention, he as a few extra pounds too... Well, I got up this morning to fix his lunch before he left for work and I almost lost it. Just the smell of meat cooking made me feel so sick. Also I have been going to the bathroom every hour or so too. That's not a pretty site either, it is the runny stuff if you know what I mean. Yuck. I have a headache too which I was expecting but I was wondering if the other symptoms are normal? My husband was tired yester day but that is the only symptom that he has really had. I have been very strict on the diet and drinking my water. I was VERY addicted to Dr. Peppers before. I would have 2 and sometimes 3 a day. Not the little can either, the 24 ozers. I would go days and days without water...... Could this be the cause of of all my problems??? I still am getting sick at the smell of food. I can't eat anything. Please let me know if this is normal. Thanks in advance!

Beanybabe

razzle Tue, Apr-30-02 10:44

Yes, all that is normal, and in 3-4 days should all be gone.

Sugars and grains can be quite toxic to us, and the process of getting off them akin to getting off an addictive drug. In other words, you're suffering withdrawal symptoms! The diarrhea can be from the added fat in the diet, but as your body adjusts to the change in diet, should resolve itself. The nausea/loss of appetite may be the beginning of ketosis--most people regain their appetite. Next time you're feeling good, cook up some meat ahead, put it in plastic bags, and then just heat it for dinner so you don't have to stand over cooking meat. Deli meats are also possibilities that do not involve cooking, though most have trace sugars in them, so should be used with care.

Headaches are very typical detox symptoms--make sure you are drinking your water so that you don't add a dehydration headache to this.

Your Dr P habit sounds like my old Coke habit--soon you'll be so glad you're off the stuff! Hang in there, drink your water, take supplements for now (to help heal you from the likely nutritional deficiencies your sugar intake had caused), and treat yourself well in other ways--trade massages with DH, take long baths, and the next few days will be over before you know it.

Akiwican Tue, Apr-30-02 10:45

Normal

Hello

Yes, its normal... you are having withdrawal from carbs and possibly caffine too. Try to get your 10 to 12 x calories with plain food so as not to upset your stomach too much and drink your water.

It will last for a few days, but when the fog clears you will feel much better. :) Hope this helps...

:wave: Akiwican

P.S. Oh, I see Razzle just beat me to the punch line with a bit more detail... all good advise :thup:

Beanybabe Tue, Apr-30-02 12:14

Hello again,

Thank you so much for your quick replies. I just feel so weak and with the other symptoms, I just wanted to double check. This is a new WOL for us and I want it to work so badly. I can't wait to be healthy and feeling good again. Thanks also for the suggestions with DH. He isn't suffering as much since he wasn't addicted to sodas like me, but it will be nice to get babied by him for a while.

Thanks again,
Beanybabe

DWRolfe Tue, Apr-30-02 12:48

Tough it out..

It will get better...

...I recall feeling pretty rotten for a few days when I started Atkins, too. But by the end of Induction I felt good and every week after got better and better.

Give yourself some time, and allow for feeling a little bit under the weather. Oh, and be prepared for some grumpy moods too...or URL (Ugly Mood Swings) as we call them in our house. :mad: They pass too....

Good luck and happy LCing!

Donald :wave:

hymntonink Tue, Apr-30-02 13:54

Welcome Beany! You have landed yourself smack dab into a great forum. I love it. I am new to this WOL too. I'm heading on my 3rd week of induction. I was sicker than a dog just like you. It lasted about from day 2-7 for me. But guess what? All better and feeling great. Just have to take it easy those days. I laid down a lot, drank lots of water, took the necessary supplements and felt tons better. I had to force food down me too just to get in some food/carbs for the days. But once all was said and done. It was WELL worth it. I lost 13 pounds in the first 2 weeks. I say that only because having lost that weight was more than reward enough for the sick time. It's very exciting stuff. Just stick with it. You can do it! =)

Kirsten

imready Tue, Apr-30-02 16:07

sick

Oh beanybabe, I know how you feel! My days 2-3 were absolutely horrible! I was so weak and headachey, I could hardly stand it.

Trust us though, it will end. You will then realize how good you feel. You'll have more energy . It will be worth the trouble!

Welcome to this WOE and this forum. Keep tuning in --you can't beat the advice and support you will get here! :wave: