Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Protein Power (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   New to protein power (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=41739)

shae Thu, Apr-25-02 10:07

New to protein power

Hi,

I just started pp & was wondering if there is any information on how much weight a person should loose per week on the plan. I was on atkins & they say that you can loose anywhere from 4-8 lbs in the first 2 weeks.

Thanks
shae :D

tokenyanke Thu, Apr-25-02 10:22

weight loss

Hey Shae,

I just started PP 2 days ago after switching from Atkins. I didn't really notice anything in the book that gave what amounts of weight to expect to lose. Atkins goes into that subject more. Of course, I'm an exception to every rule and lost way slower than most, anyway. I just try to not be in a hurry and give it time.

I am enjoying PP a lot with it being strawberry season here! At 30-35 carbs a day, though, I am already out of ketosis, but I've also lost 1.5 lbs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

cindi :p

shae Thu, Apr-25-02 10:53

Hi Cindi,

Thanks for replying. This is actually my first day. I decided to switch to pp because I never seemed to get past the induction on atkins. Also i wanted to be able to eat small amounts of fruit, breads, crackers & a glass of wine occassionally. I also wanted to be on a diet that I didn't have to change ie induction/maintainence etc... So I hope this is it! Congrats on the 1.5 lbs!

shae

tokenyanke Fri, Apr-26-02 10:43

PP/3rd day

Hey Shae,

Well, today is my 3rd day on PP and I've lost 2 lbs so far. I keep thinking someday it's gonna backfire! I know I shouldn't be that pessimistic! I have to stop thinking like that!

I had similar problems on Atkins... Every time I tried adding carbs to get to 25 a day, my weight would start jumping up on me! I would cut out nuts, cheese, cream or whatever I was having that I thought might be the problem, but even with just veggies, I would gain. With PP, I've been getting 30-35 carbs every single day and I'm having nuts, cheese and cream and am not having a problem! So, I wonder if maybe I was just getting way too much protein and maybe it wasn't actually the fault of the added carbs. Whatever it is, I am glad to be losing the 5 lbs I had gained on Atkins. In a lot of ways, though, I do still feel like I'm doing Atkins since PP is really similar in so many ways. Like you, though, I know that I will want to add in some other things later on that I wouldn't be able to on Atkins.

I hope PP works well for you also. Keep me posted. :wave:

cindi

Louloo Fri, Apr-26-02 13:53

Just starting PP today as well. Have been on Atkins for two months & I seen to have come to a stand still.

Thought I would try and do the switch, and it might kick start something.

Good Luck :angel:

Banana Fri, Apr-26-02 14:22

Protein

Hi there,

It's interesting to read all your comments about Atkins vs PP, I'm just reading PPLP at the moment after having read PP and I've sort of naturally slid into doing PP instead of Atkins. I always felt Atkins a little too restrictive with the fruit. :rolleyes:

I too feel that maybe I was eating too much protein on Atkins. My minimum was around 60g but I was eating double that somedays, must confess did that today as well! But I found when it comes to the scales, the days my protein was lower I lost, maybe it was just coincidence, don't know, have to check it out again and experiment. But also I think I feel better when I don't eat quite so much protein and stick to around 80 - 90g per day and 30-40g carbs, it's great to have a slice of bread or some grapefruit in the morning :p . I'll see how the weight loss goes on those figures for a week!

Tokenyanke - how much do you generally eat a day, I'll have to look see if you have a journal going. And how do you know you are out of ketosis, those ketostix are not very reliable, you can use one in the morning, one in the afternoon, one in the evening and the results will all be different!

Look forward to seeing you fellow PP'ers results after switching!

Banana
:wave:

shae Fri, Apr-26-02 15:41

Thanks to all of you for replying. I just posted my menu from my first day because I am a little confused as to how it works. Karen replyed that I'm not doing it right. I'd like to see how you are setting up your menus. It would be a great help!!!

Thanks

shae :confused:

tokenyanke Fri, Apr-26-02 17:19

My PP info

Wow... we're getting our own little PP group here! That's great!

First of all, for what I'm eating... I am getting between 1500 and 1700 calories per day(which falls within the 10-12x my weight guidelines). I use www.fitday.com whenever I can to check my stats... Most days my protein is mid 20%'s and my fat is around 70%. It is pretty easy to figure things out using that website... I really like it.

Next, for knowing I'm out of ketosis... I no longer have the bad breath feeling all the time! And, I have tested several times at different times of the day using the ketostix and it is always negative. Before, I was always at least a little in the pink and at night I was usually almost the darkest it could get.

I wish all of us the best of this WOE. LC is great and I am impressed with it.

cindi

sallyd Sun, Apr-28-02 07:17

I have been doing Atkins since 1/4/02 and have only lost 2#, I am going to start doing Protein Power today because I think I am eating to much protein. I use fitday to enter my daily intake but I am still a little confused as to how much fat you can or should have on protein power. I had a moch danish for breakfast.
calories- 287, fat-25, carbs-5, 11-protein. I figures my protein out and I should have around 58 grams a day(if I figured it out right)
Any advise anyone can give I would appreciate it.
sallyd

tokenyanke Sun, Apr-28-02 08:26

PP ?'s

Hey Sallyd,

Welcome to PP!

The protein level that you come up with after doing calculations is your "minimum" requirement per day. If you go over, that's okay, according to the book. My requirement is around 80 gms and I usually am closer to 95-100 gms.

I have been at the same weight the past 2 days, but I had lost 2 lbs before that. On Tuesday my first week will be up and I can increase my carbs some more, so we'll see how it goes from there.

Some good ideas for breaking a plateau are on pages 140-141 in the book.

Like you, I think I was eating too much protein on the Atkins and that was causing problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the PP that it will work for me.

Keep at it and keep reading. Every time I open the book, I read something else that I hadn't noticed before!

cindi

Louloo Sun, Apr-28-02 09:10

Great to see all the responses. I am currently not doing anything until Monday. Have not had anything I should not have, just not following any plan for another day.

This AM I had

crustless broccoli quiche
3 strips bacon
1 slice rye bread ( 9 grams carbs)

Not sure about later today.

Have been feeling that I am eating to much fat. When I put in fit day it comes out around 70-79%, but it just seems to much for me.

We will see what Monday brings when I start again on PP. :angel:

sallyd Sun, Apr-28-02 10:47

thanks for responding and yes I will continue to read the book.
I wasn't sure if you could have more protein. I will see how it goes. THe past couple of days I was so hungry but today I have been more satified.
sallyd

tokenyanke Sun, Apr-28-02 14:39

hunger

Yea... when I first switched to PP from Atkins, those first couple of days I noticed more hunger. I had been eating a lot more protein and my body had gotten use to it! Now it doesn't seem to bother, though. My hardest challenge at the moment is making sure to get in enough carbs and I'm trying to cut back on mayo since it has the soybean oil in it that PP says isn't so good.... At least what I use isn't hydrolized, but that's the only plus, I guess.

Have a great day! It's nice to see some PP people here. I really like this forum so much more than any others I've seen.

cindi

tokenyanke Mon, Apr-29-02 03:10

not working !!!

Well, I think I just need to donate my body to medical science! I did everything the same over the weekend as I have been doing. When I started PP, I lost 2 lbs in 3 days and then stayed the same for 2 days.... Now it's back up 1.5 lbs! I past being frustrated. After being on LC for 3 months and hardly losing anything, I've read and tried everything I know of and have read of to try.

Major bummer!

cindi :(

Banana Mon, Apr-29-02 05:24

Don't give up

Hi Tokenyanke,

Don't give up, I'm the same. I used to jump on the scales every day, and was horrified to see the fluctuation.

Now I TRY to only use them once a week, it's much better, you don't get so disheartened if you gain. You have to remind yourself that any gain, is not fat if you are eating correctly. Somewhere in this forum someone quoted that you need to eat mega amounts over your quota to gain 1lb of fat. It's just water and that sort of thing. I can be up 1.5lbs one day then 3 days later have lost 2lbs, thereby = 1/2lb loss overall.

I think over time you WILL loose, but you have to stay the course! :D I've been hovering between 138 - 136lbs for about 2 weeks now, so it's time my hovering was lowered!!!!! BUt then I remember the same thing, a while ago, hovering between 138 - 140lbs and then suddenly it went down permanently. Maybe someone has a better explanation for these 'hoverings'!!! followed by whooshes!!!!!

Take care and don't loose heart, it WILL come off eventually.

Banana :wave:

PS just had my first 1/4 apple with some cheese, it was soooooo sweet, yummy for a snack, PP is great!