Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   How Important are Eggs?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=410277)

lcgwen Sat, Apr-03-10 12:15

How Important are Eggs??

I am not a huge lover of Eggs. Today is my first day on Atkins. I am currently preparing my Lunch. I see a lot of newcomers on here are having Eggs at every meal. Is this recommended? I can do a Fried Egg for breakfast, I have to have Cheese on it or its a no go though. Is this Induction friendly? Occasionaly I can stomach a Boiled Egg. I could tolerate them added to a salad. I love quiche, its just knowing whether it is induction friendly and what sort of crust to make with it. Am I required to eat Eggs daily? Thanks!

jennhahn Sat, Apr-03-10 12:25

congratulations to you on starting your new way of life!!! as far as eggs, i'm the same way. since i'm not doing atkins i can't really answer if eggs are absolutely necessary. however, i eat eggs maybe every 2 or 3 days. if i eat them all the time they make me nauseas (sp). there are alot of other options than just eggs. i think when people start the plan they're really not sure of all they're options so they stick to the one thing they know, this was my experience anyway. check out the kitchen area of this board and you will see alot of recipes that are ok for induction. good luck to you. it gets way easier. trust me.

Elizellen Sat, Apr-03-10 12:48

No - though eggs are one of the allowed foods for Atkins they are certainly not mandatory.

And there is certainly no need to think you have to eat eggs for breakfast (unlike the media assume). I never eat eggs and bacon for breakfast unless I am staying in a hotel which offers a 'full English' but do often have it for lunch at a local café or truck stop.

Eggs are useful in preparing other recipes though, like quiches and revolution rolls as a bread substititute as well as in many other baked recipes to add variety.

Elizellen Sat, Apr-03-10 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcgwen
I love quiche, its just knowing whether it is induction friendly and what sort of crust to make with it.

My quiche recipe is easy, quick to prepare and crustless!
I often make one or two at the weekend so I have some quick 'grab'n'go' snacks or meals in the fridge.
Quiches are also a good way to get some veggies in ;)

dutchboy Sat, Apr-03-10 12:53

It's just that eggs are the perfect source of proteins- 7 grams per egg. A great recommandation is to have 30 grams of protein per meal for muscle maintenance and to fuel your glucoseneogenesis.

I once read a story about a man who - for incomprehensible reasons we do not know- had a large number of eggs per day as his only food. Some 10 - 20 per day. He had done so for 10 years, and was in an excellent health. I love eggs, any way you prepare them. But my average use is some 20 eggs per week. I take it you all are aware of the fact the cholesterol is no issue at all.

How do you want your egg in the morning? Whith a kiss........