Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Lactose Intolerance & Weight Gain? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=38895)

Nan Fri, Mar-29-02 19:22

Lactose Intolerance & Weight Gain?

Amazing what you learn when you go on a diet. I haven't been journalling - although I fully intend to start!

I've been on induction since for two weeks (my first week I made some novice mistakes - so I'm not counting). My Forum Friends helped me through a stall and I was on my way. I just hit a new low and was thrilled only to find two days later I'm back up a few pounds.

In analyzing all of this I noticed - specifically last night and this morning that I had terrible cramps after having some full whipped cream and again this morning after cheese. Then the lights went on and I checked the symptoms of lactose intolerance on the internet. Sure as shootin' I had a matched - nauseau, cramps, bloating. I will be seeing my doc for the necessary tests.

My question, has anyone had a similar experience? Can lactose intolerance cause a weight jump? Does anyone know of any resources?

Atrsy Sat, Mar-30-02 08:32

Hi Nan

I've been tested by my doctor and found to be lactose intolerant. I had no idea. But my big mistake since on this woe is that I thought that cream, butter, yogurt and hard cheese had no lactose and now I am also experiencing a gain. :( I have been eating creme fraiche like it's going out of style.

People on this board have been helping me and I will now start the next week on a total non-dairy regime to see if that will make the difference. I am determined to be thin again! ;)

Sounds like you definitely have a problem with dairy too. Good luck in your trials. It takes a little time and patience to find what will work best with your body.

Natrushka Sat, Mar-30-02 09:48

Re: Lactose Intolerance & Weight Gain?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nan
My question, has anyone had a similar experience? Can lactose intolerance cause a weight jump? Does anyone know of any resources?

Nan, click on Atrsy's journal icon (under her post) and read back a few days - I've posted a few articles from LC and non LC sources dealing with food intolerance and sensitivities and their effect on both overal health and weight gain.

Nat

Nan Mon, Apr-01-02 07:50

Not all intolerances are the same

Thanks for the replies. I did try cheese one more to see the effect. The day I had my trouble I had a small slice of swiss and a small slice of edam. Yesterday - just edam no trouble. Between your articles and an internet search I found out that swiss is one of the worst! And I guess the quantities of real cream that I was whipping up in withdrawal weren't helping either! :o Oh well live an learn! Thanks again!