Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Why veggies? Read on... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=38425)

nsmith4366 Mon, Mar-25-02 08:00

Why veggies? Read on...

Found this blurb:

"U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) researchers set a certain number of calories for subject groups and altered the fiber content. Results demonstrated that fewer calories wer e absorbed with increased fiber intake. When a man increased his fiber intake from 18 to 36 grams per day, he absorbed 130 fewer calories daily. When a woman increased her fiber intake from 12 to 24 grams per day, she absorbed 90 fewer calories daily." (Source: Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter, April 1998)

Here's the non-lowcarb but still informative link - http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1317.html

Over a years time, this could add up to nine to ten pounds! Pretty great stuff, don’t you think?

Veggies = fiber! Maybe this is another reason low carbers lose weight too? Many people say they never ate much fiber before starting this way of eating.

Okay, I don't eat many veggies, but I do supplement with plenty of fiber. I'm guessing the fiber was both soluable and insoluable in this study.

Oh well, eat up. But stick to low carb veggies everyone!

razzle Mon, Mar-25-02 10:21

cool find! this makes sense, but I've never heard it before. I hope we're still absorbing the micronutrients if not the Kcals.

I've made a concerted effort this past month to eat lots and lots of veggies, and you know? It is downright impossible to eat as much as 40 ECCs of veggie in a day! That is a big ol' pile of veggies. So I'd advise anyone post induction to eat up--especially the salad. Don't bother to measure. You'll never toss yourself out of ketosis on spinach or cauliflower.

agonycat Mon, Mar-25-02 10:42

Another good reason to eat your veggies other than the calorie thing is:

They have vitamins and minerals which your body sometimes misses in supplements.

:D

So eat those veggies and be healthy!

razzle Mon, Mar-25-02 11:03

AC, so very true! And we don't even understand yet what all the phytochemicals are, nor how many benefits they have. I just found this, for instance, today:

The Journal of Neuroscience, September 15, 1999, 19(18):8114-8121
Reversals of Age-Related Declines in Neuronal Signal Transduction, Cognitive, and Motor Behavioral Deficits with Blueberry, Spinach, or Strawberry Dietary Supplementation
James A. Joseph1, Barbara Shukitt-Hale1, Natalia A. Denisova1, Donna Bielinski1, Antonio Martin1, John J. McEwen1, and Paula C. Bickford2

"Ample research indicates that age-related neuronal-behavioral decrements are the result of oxidative stress that may be ameliorated by antioxidants. Our previous study had shown that rats given dietary supplements of fruit and vegetable extracts with high antioxidant activity for 8 months beginning at 6 months of age retarded age-related declines in neuronal and cognitive function. The present study showed that such supplements (strawberry, spinach, or blueberry at 14.8, 9.1, or 18.6 gm of dried aqueous extract per kilogram of diet, respectively) fed for 8 weeks to 19-month-old Fischer 344 rats were also effective in reversing age-related deficits in several neuronal and behavioral parameters including: oxotremorine enhancement of K+-evoked release of dopamine from striatal slices, carbachol-stimulated GTPase activity, striatal Ca45 buffering in striatal synaptosomes, motor behavioral performance on the rod walking and accelerod tasks, and Morris water maze performance. These findings suggest that, in addition to their known beneficial effects on cancer and heart disease, phytochemicals present in antioxidant-rich foods may be beneficial in reversing the course of neuronal and behavioral aging."

So if a spinach salad makes you smarter and a half cup of blueberries every few days will help you keep your memory...eat up!