Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   19% BF anyone? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=36703)

KarenB Sun, Mar-10-02 18:30

19% BF anyone?

Hey!!! Yeah, you.... reading this.... :D

I've changed my focus from pounds to BodyFat % (BF%) as of this weekend. I've made the decision to do BFL (Body For Life) along with many others here including Natrushka (and I *do* blame her almost completely! :lol: ) and Marlaine (I blame her a little bit too), and I can't WAIT for my book to get here!

I've got the weights, now I'm working on a bench and/or incline (come on, eBay! I put in a bid last night!) for the presses...

Who's with me here? Let's make it a PARTY!

Natrushka Sun, Mar-10-02 19:57

Why are my ears burning?

OK, if it's a party I'm here. Who's bringing the protein powder?

N

KarenB Sun, Mar-10-02 20:02

Ummm...

The only thing I have on hand is an old canister of Carb Solutions vanilla.... until I find out what the "best" one is, that's all I can offer you, hon.

Still in? :D

I got those BBQ rinds and that amazing blue cheese dressing, though.....

Natrushka Mon, Mar-11-02 07:50

After the Designer Whey natural protein powder I can handle anything! Talk about drinking drywall compound!!.

Have a look through the GNC website - they have a few listed online that you can peek at. The stores, if there is one close to you, usually have a whole section devoted to protein powders. Their brand is the one I picked up this time around - it's expensive but it's made with splenda which appealed to me. I've also found some good ones at Wal-Mart. Much cheaper.

I havent had pork rinds in months - I think I need to remind myself just what they taste like!

N

Libbyfcr Tue, Mar-12-02 16:55

BF%

Okay.. this is really Nat's fault. Today I was reading another post where she gave the addy to a couple of places to check your BF% and off I went exploring them. BTW.. they did all say something different but they were close enough I guess. SO here I sit... thinking about swimsuit days and my dusty Health Rider and blaming my new train of thought on Nat.

When I was a skinny young non-mom my body fat was about 16 or 17%. (It was in my job description to stay thin) Today Nat's links gave me 23.1, 24.something % and one was somewhere in between.

I would like work on loosing the rest of my baggage and at the same time work on my BF%. So thank you all.. and thank you Natrushka for your support.

Libby :wave:

KarenB Tue, Mar-12-02 18:19

Nat the Troublemaker

Oops... of course I mean INSPIRATION! :D

Welcome, Libby! I just read your post over in the Bikini Babes thread.

Nat, you mentioned finding some decent protein powders at WalMart. Do you remember what they were? I'd hate to spend $$ on one and find it's drywall compound (man, you're dead on with that description!). I'll check out the GNC site later; there's a store about 20 minutes from me. I could hit there on Thursday after work, before I pick up the small one from daycare.

Natrushka Tue, Mar-12-02 19:05

From one troublemaker to another...

K, I think the Wal-Mart brand was Weider - they have a soy and a whey protein (go for the whey protein) They also have some premade ones in cans that you can just pop open like a soft drink - 35g of protein, 5g of carbs (2.something of which are fiber). It's a little 'sweet' at first but after one or two I got used to them - they do the trick in a pinch.

The trick to these puppies seems to be finding the right balance - sometimes you need more water, sometimes a little milk will make it all better. And never under estimate the power of frozen berries! They up the carbs, give you the fiber you need, and chill the drink down so it's like a smoothie.

Nat

KarenB Tue, Mar-12-02 19:16

Thanks a bunch

I'll see if our Wally World carries the Weider brand. I can't recall at the moment.

I was thinking about tossing in 1/4 cup of frozen blackberries the next time I have one of the CS vanilla drinks--as soon as I can stomach something more than water and jello and bouillon, that is, and start adding carbs again (probably next week, this is my second week of re-Induction). Thanks!

Natrushka Tue, Mar-12-02 19:23

Go for a half a cup, Karen. Don't let the carbs scare you :) Berries really are loaded with fiber and the extra 1/4 cup will make a difference in there.

I found that the best way to tackle the increased carbs was to decide how many I was going to have for the day then divide it by 6. With a moderate range of 50-60g you can have 7-10g per meal (that's not effective carbs either - you still get to subtract those fiber grams). It also means you can start trying things like green apples, peaches, grapefruit and pears (usually 1/2 a fruit at a time) - assuming of course you like them ;)

Nat

KarenB Tue, Mar-12-02 19:31

Fraidy Cat

Half a cup.... okay, I think I actually used to eat 1/2 cup but I did it at two different times--like 1/4 cup in a cup of whole-milk organic yogurt, and the other 1/4 cup over a slice of cheesecake.

Peaches...... :: DROOL :: I'm not big on apples unless they're with peanut butter, but IIRC I can have that again too... pears are gross, sorry. :lol: The only grapefruit I bother eating is Ruby Red--the other kinds make me gag from the acidity.

I'll remember the "divide by 6" thing too. Sounds like a very sensible and logical way to tackle it. (Neither of which adjectives apply to me at the moment, I'm so blasted dehydrated I can hardly think straight, but oh well. :D ) Off to try for more water, as soon as I get around this Sobe sugar-free drink...