Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   new to the lo carb thing (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=34828)

dearwing Wed, Feb-20-02 19:50

new to the lo carb thing

Hi everyone! I am actually not really following a book yet. I have CAD and am reading it (with 3 kids haven't had as much time as I'd like to read!) So I kinda am eating only the foods in the lo-carb list in CAD and talking to a girlfriend of mine who is lo carbing it but not sure what plan she is on. She says 100 g of carb a day is ok, but reading through some of the posts I am realizing I better get reading. (She also says that popcorn is ok, but I have my doubts!) Can I just list what I have eaten today and get some feedback? Breakfast 2 poached eggs, 1 piece toast w/butter, 1/2 a cucumber. Lunch 1/4 cup cottage chs, a few peanuts, raw cauliflower, 3 dill pickles. Supper 1 chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli and cauliflower cooked, 1/2 cup cabbage w/ mayo/vinegar dressing, 1 0z cheddar chs. I have to admit that after dinner I am very craving crazy, yesterday I sneaked a bite of a nanaimo bar, which are now stored in the bottom of the deep freeze so no more temptation! I do feel sorta hungry though. But alot more energy in only 3 days, and I think I lost about 3-4 lbs, sound normal? Anyway I will stay up late and read the book tonight!! Is this induction thing just with Atkins, I just want to change the way I eat, not pee on strips of paper!

Thanks,

dearwing

gwilson38 Thu, Feb-21-02 09:32

welcome dearwing!

hey guess where I am from? Calgary!! so welcome neighbor! The 1st most important thing U need to do is figure out what plan U want to follow. If u go to the right of this page U will see "what low-carb plan is right for me" check that out. U dont need to pee on strips to do Atkins...LOL in fact they arent the most reliable anyways. Two things that are most important no matter what plan U follow.... drink LOTS of water and make sure to be on some good supplements.

dearwing Thu, Feb-21-02 09:45

Thanks so much for the advice! The water thing is a real struggle for me! At most I seem to squeeze down 5 glasses, but I am working on it. I am going to investigate Atkins a little more but meanwhile follow CAD as that is the book I have and something is better than nothing right? Thanks again neighbour! :wave:

wbahn Thu, Feb-21-02 14:47

Welcome aboard! :wave:

Be a bit careful of the "something is better than nothing" approach. While you are very unlikely to hurt yourself, if you do not learn enough about the plan you are going to use you can get very dissappointing results and give up on what otherwise might have been the best thing that ever happened to your health.

Atkins has a section for the eager beaver that basically acknowledges that lots of people want to start NOW and so he has condensed the Getting Started section to the minimum you need to get going with a strong advisement to be sure to go back and read the whole book. Other books may well do something similar.

Be sure to start a journal here and browse a bunch of the threads and ask lots of questions. You have come to a great place for all of that.