Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Help! Gaining weight while in ketosis? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=33084)

odinisgod Wed, Feb-06-02 09:23

Help! Gaining weight while in ketosis?

I am in my 4th week of induction, and noticed that this week I have gained 4 pounds in the past 5 days. What was strange is that I have been in ketosis the whole time. I haven't been doing any muscle building exercise, but have noticed that I was eating more sodium this week (hey, my wife found a good sale on bacon, okay) and not drinking enough water, so I think that it is water retension.

I think if I cut down on the amount of sodium I eat (cut out the bacon, sausage, and soy sauce), and increase the amount of water I drink, it might help.

Has this happend to anyone else? Also, what is the best way get rid of excess water? Any suggestions?

Natrushka Wed, Feb-06-02 09:26

Re: Help! Gaining weight while in ketosis?

Quote:
Originally posted by odinisgod
what is the best way get rid of excess water? Any suggestions?

Drink more water. And then, drink some more water ;) And cut down on the processed foods - things that are processed will actually have more salt than whole foods that are salty. There is more sodium in prepared SF pudding than in a handful of nuts.

But drinking the water will make the most difference.

Nat

odinisgod Wed, Feb-06-02 09:47

Thanks, I'll try that.

Yeah, I have been drinking about half the amount of water this week that I have done in the past, so that would make sense, so I will make it a point to drown myself starting today. I'll let you know if it works!

Thanks.

odinisgod Thu, Feb-07-02 09:39

Lots of H2O helped.

I forced down about 20 pints of water yesterday and was able to lose 2 pounds of water in 24 hours (hooray). I still feel a little sloshy, so I think I have more excess water to lose, so I will keep up the water intake today too.

I noticed that my ketone strip barley registered last night(possibly negative). Usually it is slightly darker than moderate. I think it was because all the water I was drinking dilluted the amount of ketones in my body. My question is that if I keep drinking all this water, how am I suppose to know if I am in ketosis? It makes me a little apprehensive to increase my carb intake.

Natrushka Thu, Feb-07-02 09:54

Re: Lots of H2O helped.

Quote:
Originally posted by odinisgod
My question is that if I keep drinking all this water, how am I suppose to know if I am in ketosis? It makes me a little apprehensive to increase my carb intake.

You'll know - 'metalic keto' taste in your mouth - lack of appetite - that different smell to your urin (oh the things we talk about here ;) )

Raising carbs is not something to fret overly about - were you thinking of just 5 or 10g a day for OWL? Or are you thinking even higher for muscle growth? (you mentioned weight training in your initial post) - either one can be done with a LC plan - with results. If you are more active you a) need more carbs and b) will use those carbs.

Nat