Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Year of the LC Golden Pig (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=324704)

wannadanc Mon, Feb-19-07 21:36

Year of the LC Golden Pig

It all started out because I was missing Cheerios!!!!!!!!

Cream, pork rinds, splenda

I put some thick cream into a cereal bowl, added 2 tsps of Splenda, stirred that .........and then crushed some pork rinds into it. If it is eaten immediately, it has that wonderful cheerio crunch to it.

If, on the other hand, you made too much (as I had), slip the remainder into the freezer. When it is only partially thawed, it is just WONDERFUL.

Maybe this is the Year of the Golden Pig LC style!!!!

UserXYZ Mon, Jan-19-09 07:35

Cereal made from pork rinds? I think I'll pass...

Nancy LC Mon, Jan-19-09 14:46

I've done something similar. I crushed pork rinds up to small chunks and added slivered almonds, splenda and cinnamon. It made granola!

maria150 Mon, Jan-19-09 14:51

I'm always open to trying anything once... wow, this is a stretch but heck I love cereal/granola!

maria150 Tue, Jan-20-09 14:56

Okay, so I tried it... overall, it wasn't bad... i think my only problem is the fact that pork rinds are salty so despite the sugar and cinnamon there's that saltiness... otherwise, it tasted alot like cinnamon toast crunch... is there such a thing as low-sodium pork rinds!?! :)

Samantha22 Tue, Jan-20-09 15:04

You can make your own pork rinds.
I'm not sure exactly how, but i know that there are some here that do.
Maybe it would help if you had control of how they were made...as far as the salty taste is concerned.
Perhaps there is a thread?

I use pork rinds for endless things.
My alltime favorite is pancakes.
They are wonderful, and the pork rind batter is perfect even without any flours such as almond or flax!
I'm not a big fan of plain porkrinds for snacking anymore...but i love to use them in cooking.

UserXYZ Tue, Jan-20-09 16:43

How can you make pancake batter with pork rinds?

Samantha22 Tue, Jan-20-09 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserXYZ
How can you make pancake batter with pork rinds?

Theres a "pork rind pancake" recipe around here somewhere, i'll see if i can find the link...
It's basically a mix of heavy cream, finely ground pork rinds and egg seasoned with sweetener of your choice, and cinnamon. Surprisingly, it makes a great batter. Let me hunt around some for the recipe..

Samantha22 Tue, Jan-20-09 16:53

Here's the original link to the recipe:Pork Rind Pancakes

The way i measure my pork rinds is that i use 1/2 cup plus 2TB of them once they are ground up. Just toss them in a food processor, it works great.

Heres the thread that has quite a few pics....
Pictures and Step by Step

maria150 Tue, Jan-20-09 17:57

Thanks for the links, Samantha!! :)

UserXYZ Tue, Jan-20-09 19:16

Wow! Thanks a lot. Just wondrin, did you use salty pork rinds, were the pancakes really salty?

maria150 Tue, Jan-20-09 21:30

I'm wonderin' the same thing... hmmm....

Samantha22 Wed, Jan-21-09 07:31

Good morning :)
I used the regular cheap pork rinds you buy in the store.
Nope, the pancakes are not salty.
Whip up a batch and see what you think!

Nancy LC Wed, Jan-21-09 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria150
Okay, so I tried it... overall, it wasn't bad... i think my only problem is the fact that pork rinds are salty so despite the sugar and cinnamon there's that saltiness... otherwise, it tasted alot like cinnamon toast crunch... is there such a thing as low-sodium pork rinds!?! :)

Yeah, I think my pork rinds were unsalted, unflavored.

maria150 Wed, Jan-21-09 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Yeah, I think my pork rinds were unsalted, unflavored.

Hey Nancy, what brand do you buy? I'd love to try those unsalted ones for sweet treats. Not to mention, I'm sure they must be better for you overall, no salt related bloatiness...