Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Gyros meat (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=31694)

anniec Sat, Jan-26-02 13:16

Gyros meat

Does anyone know if there are carbs in this and how many? I can't seem to find any carb info regarding gyros meat.

razzle Sat, Jan-26-02 20:38

I believe that traditionally, this should just be roasted lamb. If it's plain meat with no gravy or sauce, it should be safe--even the sour cream and cucumbers often served with it should be LC. However, who knows what a fast-food vendor might be serving us, eh? Always ask, and hope you're getting a true answer.

HTH. Maybe some expert Greek cook will help you out further. :)

anniec Sun, Jan-27-02 12:51

gyros meat

Thanks so much for your insight! I did eat it - it was delicious! :roll:

Brandon Sun, Jan-27-02 15:41

Hey there fellow Chicagoan! Glad you brought up that topic, that'd be a great choice for going out with the gang to the little hot dog/hambuger joints. Looks like we even started the diet on the same day! Best of luck to you!

anniec Mon, Jan-28-02 10:01

Hey, you have to get creative to be successful, right? Good luck to you as well. Have a great week!

athenastar Thu, Apr-11-02 01:11

Re: Gyros meat

Hi, I worked in a Greek restaurant for many years and was told that gyros (at least there) was a combination of lamb and beef. I love gyros, but just wondering how they combine lamb and beef to make a different type of meat is kind of a scary thought. Who knows what else is added to it. I personally am staying away from it on this diet. I do know that the tzatzki sauce is low carb though.

DWRolfe Thu, Apr-11-02 07:55

I eat Gyros!

I've been eating gyros every week since I started...

...and I'm down 57lbs. I order the gyros plate which includes the meat, some tomatoes, onion, yogurt based sauce (I only eat a little of this). I order mine with a salad, too. :thup:

I think you can find the stats on the meat on fitday.com

Good luck and enjoy!

Donald :wave:

Mindbreeze Thu, Apr-11-02 11:28

Most traditional gyro places spin the meat on a Rotisserie (sp) or sorts. I looks almost layered so that must be what they mean by combining beef and lamb.

athenastar Thu, Apr-11-02 23:35

Re: I eat Gyros!

Hi,

I had a gyro tonight with no onion, pita or tomato. If you have lost that much weight and been eating it, it must be ok. I guess I will find out tomorrow. My weight has not moved for the last few days (11 pounds total). I have been drinking a lot of diet sprite, so maybe this is the problem. I also MUST have coffee in the morning. If I give up the diet sprite and I am still not losing, I will probably give up the coffee. Well, thanks for letting me know about the gyro. It is something I really like to eat, so as long as I don't gain. I will keep eating it. Thanks again!!!!