Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Not losing the inches (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=30689)

jessie Fri, Jan-18-02 16:46

Not losing the inches

Hi all

Let me start by saying that this WOE is working great for me and I recently reached my goal weight.

I have been LCing 3 months. However, in the last couple of months, I have not lost any inches at all although I have lost 5 lbs which is quite a bit for my frame. So this is my question for all you experts.

1. What is the time frame over which one can expect to lose the inches (should I just wait longer)?

2. Is it possible to lose inches and not too much weight (I don't want to lose much more than 3-4 more lbs)?

3. Can one lose fat over the maintainance phase (50-60 carbs) where you are very likely not in ketosis?

I tried asking this question before but did not get too many responses. I am still hoping that somebody has info on this or can point me to an appropriate resource.

Thanks for your help.

Jessie

Haven27 Fri, Jan-18-02 17:18

don't exactly know, but...

if you want to lose inches, my suggestion is that you add both aerobic and strength training to your schedule. Also, yoga, which lengthens the muscles.

You might also want to post your hieght. At 112 pounds - without knowing your height - people might wonder if you are already too thin and be afraid to help you lose more.

Kim

EllieEats Sat, Jan-19-02 05:25

Thats what I was thinking....

Exercise is usually the answer!!

Ellie :wave:

jessie Sat, Jan-19-02 12:09

I do exercise moderately.

I am 5'2" and could probably lose 2-4 lbs but not much more.

If exercise is the key to losing, then it seems that any balanced diet with a reasonable exercise routine should work. One would not need to be on a low carb diet per se.

My understanding was that the low carb induction gets you into a state of ketosis and the fat burning continues after that of its own accord (at a reasonable carb level).

Atkins does not really prescribe exercise as part of the plan and PP calls for some exercise but it did not seem to be as highly stressed.

I shall continue to exercise anyway but am interested in finding out if the diet related fat burning actually happens and whether one can really trade the fat for lean muscle as the books seem to suggest.

Thanks for the replies

Jessie

Haven27 Sat, Jan-19-02 12:44

Well...

This is an area where a variety of things will work. My good friend is a vegetarian who lives on veggies and grains, works out all the time and looks great. Perfect really.

I do think different weight loss programs work. The difference is that low fat plans work very, very slowly and for some people do not work at all. In fact, for some people low fat diets make them fatter.

The trick is to find out where you are. I am somewhere in the middle. A low fat/high activity diet has kept me thin for my entire life (even through four kids) but since I hit 35, my metabolism changed and my balance between diet and excersize was upset, resulting in a 35 pound weight gain.

Low carb is the easiest, most effective and fastest way to success - for me.

As with anything, the key to success is finding something that works for you. For the loss of inches without weight loss, working out would be your best bet.