Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Specific Exercise Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   [BFL] some questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=30313)

may Tue, Jan-15-02 15:13

some questions

hi everybody.
I read the body for life book and also protein power and atkins and I'm trying to put it all together.
first of all I think the real change in the 'body for life' method is the mental change and I liked that. I still have a cople of question. I wrote to the body for life web site and got some unswers but I still have questions, so maybe you can help me.
first of all about the nutrition, BFL talks about cutting back carbs but also fat and that's just a moderated vergion of the low fat diets isn't it. second, spplements, I didn't like the promotion for myoplex in the book and I still don't know weather I should use some sord of supplements, by the way, the BFL web site unswer to that is that you can use any supplemnt you want. If I chose to follow protein power and BFL combined can I or should I use low carb supplements???
about the free day, it makes sense in the BFL program but it can destroy the PP intervention can't it? so, I want to do this but I'm comfused and I understand the logic of low carb diet so I don't know what's best because I see all those great pictures of the people who did the BFL and they are not low carbing but on the other hand the PP also has good results.

sorry this is so messed up and maybe not clear, I guess I'm just 'thinking out loud'
(btw, sorry about any English mistakes I'm not a native speaker)

good luck and all the best
:wave:
may

Natrushka Tue, Jan-15-02 16:18

Hi May. There is a thread right here http://forum.lowcarber.org/t29683.html that should answer all those questions you have. I wrote it to help others thinking about trying BFL who wanted to maintain their LC WOL - I've been following a LC version of BFL for 10 weeks now and I can tell you that it can be done.

Please have a look at the thread and if you have any questions after reading it, just post them :)

Cheers,
Nat

may Wed, Jan-16-02 10:32

still comfused..

hi nat,
thank you for posting this thread and for reffering me to it. I read it and it is great althogh I still have some questions.
first, do you use supplements? what kind if you do? second, do you have a free day or did you chose not to? and finally do you measure portion sizes with the palm of your hand and restrict fat?
I totaly get the exercise part and the pictures on bodychange are totally inspiring. btw, how is it working for you? (if you don't mind me asking, sorry if that's rood.)

thanks
:roll:
may

officerjqg Wed, Jan-16-02 11:05

If your are attempting to do the diet in the traditional Atkins Low Carb Diet you need to read up and understand what it is all about and if it is right for you. If you are going to use another low carb diet then you might be able to do the day off thing. I personally lean toward the Atkins one because I did it and I know it works. If you do it that way then you would not use the hand measuring deal since its the carb count that makes the difference. If you are not following either then I guess you would do as it states in the book.

James

Natrushka Wed, Jan-16-02 12:17

Re: still comfused..

Quote:
Originally posted by may
do you use supplements? what kind if you do? second, do you have a free day or did you chose not to? and finally do you measure portion sizes with the palm of your hand and restrict fat?
I totaly get the exercise part and the pictures on bodychange are totally inspiring. btw, how is it working for you? (if you don't mind me asking, sorry if that's rood.)

Hi again May :)

Yes, I use supplements - I use protein powder to get my protein up there - otherwise I'd be eating way too much for me to handle. I use Designer Whey (very low in carbs) with some berries and milk for one of my breakfasts and I use a premade shake of whey protein from weider for a lunch - both pack about 35g of protein with little carbs. I take supplements, but those I was taking before BFL with the exception of Glutamine - which I highly recommend. I take E, C, Cal/Mag, CoQ10 and a multi vitamine every day. I also throw some flaxseed oil into my morning shake for EFA's (essential fatty acids)

I use the free day differenlty than was intended - for me it is a LC day where I do not have to schedule in 6 meals - which can be tedious and takes planning. It's nice to be able to just eat when I am hungry and to not have to worry about getting in enough protein!

I do not restrict my fat or measure my portions as per BFL - I use PP guidelines for my meal sizes. I try to keep all meals to 400 calories and 20 - 30g of protein. I tried lowering fat and found it left me hungry and miserable so now I keep it around 100g. My percentages workout to something resembling 40% protein, 50% fat and 10% carbs (carbs are around 60g a day now).

As for results, I love them! I havent done any measuring since week 8 but at that time I had lost 15 lbs of fat and gained 6 lbs of muscle with a 6% drop in body fat. I have noticed changes in my body that I've never seen before with just diet change - slimmer thighs, more well defined shoulders, calves to die for :D and I can actually see the muscles developing in my back. This program has made a huge difference for me. I will be doing a second challenge when I return from Cuba at the end of January.

Hope this answers your questions.
Nat

may Wed, Jan-16-02 12:50

thanks!

thank you nat and james you are very helpful!!
I really love this forum!!!
do you think the atkins shakes are ok for protein powders???
I'm going to start the challange this saterday, and I'm going to do it right, with the pictures and everything. how about the low carb bars? are they bad or good?? I heard verious oppinions about that. so anyway, I'm going to do a before picture (sceary). I already tried doing the BFL way of training but I didn't take it seriously enough, and also I have to tell you that my gym trainers were kind of mad at me for not doing it their way (luckly I there are a lot of them so I lied to them and told every one of them the other one told me to do it that way, I'll be bant from my gym some day...) :devil: the part I'm most concerned about is getting up early and going to the gym, I think it's better for me to work out in the evening.
so anyway,
thank you
and I promise to publish the after pictures because I know I'm going to make it!

:wave:

whish you all love and happiness
may

DivaDani Wed, Jan-16-02 13:28

Low carb bars

Hi, May - Congratulations on deciding to start BFL!

Karen wrote a post about low carb bars in a different thread. You should check out the article she mentions. At first, I thought the bars would be a really easy, quick snack on the go. Since I've read the article, I've changed my mind.

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
There is an article in the Technical low-carbing forum under Research/Media called 'Low Carb Bars are often Loaded with Carbohydrates' that you may want to read.

Reading labels will not help you with the carb counts. You have to calculate the fat, protein and carbs to find the hidden carbs. Annoying but true.

There is a calculator in Low Carb Tools, orange bar, top of the page. Atkins is no better than any other brand.

Karen

As for Atkins Shake Powder, I use it sometimes, but only because I bought it first and I want to use it. Designer Whey has twice as much protein per scoop so you get more for your money. I need to use 4 scoops of Atkins to get around 35g protein.

Natrushka Wed, Jan-16-02 13:52

Re: thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by may
do you think the atkins shakes are ok for protein powders???
I'm going to start the challange this saterday, and I'm going to do it right, with the pictures and everything. how about the low carb bars? are they bad or good?? I heard verious oppinions about that.

May, it would depend on what you were looking for - Do the Atkins shakes have enough protein? You'd want at least 20g a serving. If they come in powders that you mix then you can always mix 2 or more scoops to make up the right amount of protein.

As for the bars, if your intention is to do this LC then I'd forget about them - most have hidden carbs, if not all, and they can actually be closer to 15 - 20g per bar. They also don't taste all that good :thdown: A search on this site (top right of every page - it's the globe icon) for "low AND carb and Bar" will give you some idea of just how deceiving the name "low carb bar" actually is.

Best of luck!
Nat