Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Flour (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=29326)

Winter Mon, Jan-07-02 00:55

Flour

I was wondering if anyone (or many) could help me with the difference between all the flours, why certain recipes call for certain types and if many of them are interchangable. And why a recipe may call for a bit of a few diferent ones.
ie: Oat flour, hi/low fat soy flour, wheat gluten flour, almond flour etc
Besides just being ground from different sources, what are the benefits of each.
I am intending to do some online reasearch as well but thought I would get a better (laymans terms) response here.

THANK YOU!!!

Karen Mon, Jan-07-02 01:35

Creating texture, having enough gluten to create a structure for the gas created by leaveners to do it's work, keeping carbs low...

Many reasons. Soy flour - low fat - is low in carbs, so is almond. Oat has a good mouth feel. Gluten flour adds the needed gluten in breads. They are not interchangeable.

Karen

tamarian Mon, Jan-07-02 01:57

The main reason to use low-fat soy powder is better taste. But I found it better to use normal soy powder and eliminate the bad taste by toasting it.

Wheat gluten adds moisture to trap the air in a bread dough.

All these combined mixtures are attempting to use the right properties to acheive a decent substitute for the original high-carb recipe. For example, I no longer use soy flower or protein, I prefer whey protein. But it has to be mixed with a lighter powder, or it will get a bit rubbery, so I add either almond meal, flax meal, psyllium husks or soy flour.

From my experience, even the brand matters sometimes. So best thing is to keep track of what works for your recipe, and keep track of what doesn't work as well (I learned to do that :) )

Wa'il

itsjoyful Mon, Jan-07-02 20:18

uses for flour

ya' can always begin a papier mache company with anything your not fond of. :p
regards,
brenda

sammiejam Thu, Jan-10-02 17:21

could you mix glutin flour with almondmeal and soy protein powder to come up with an aitkins type bakemix??

what proportions would be needed. We cant get Atkins mix here and i would love a subsitute. Even with toasting i can still taste the strong soy flavor so i would prefer not to use it if possible. THe soy protein powder does not seem to have the same taste so i want to use that if possible.

i would be really grateful for any ideas.

IslandGirl Thu, Jan-10-02 17:37

there are Bake Mix recipes here already...

I've linked them into the main LowCarb Kitchen forum from the Readers' Recipe section, SammieJam, so you don't have to search for them very far.

Hope this helps.

carbavoidr Mon, Jan-21-02 16:33

Hello,

I have learned to blend my flours, using a blend of oat and gluten gives me the best texture for biscuits -- yes, biscuits. or for baking.
I also incorporate pecan meal, or almond flour when i need a different flavor like for cookies or cakes.

IF I remember it right, Oat flour has approx 1/2 the carbs as standard. so you can lower the carbs in any dish significantly with that small change. Gluten flour has even less but doesn't do well by its self. at least for me. I subtract fiber so don't know what would be appropriate for you. I mix it together then keep it in a canister for ready use.
I don't use soy flour, its nasty. but I might give it a roast as suggested on this thread and see if that changes my mind. ;)

sammiejam Mon, Jan-21-02 17:56

thanks, i didnt think of oat flour!! i will give it a try. THe glutin on is own is very chewy...

it is all trial and error isnt it, if i come across a good combo i will be sure and let you know

carbavoidr Tue, Jan-22-02 14:54

flour

you're welcome. I found that blending things like flours and sweeteners and such can really make a difference. The oat gluten blend tends to burn a touch faster if frying. I would never have tried oat flour either except some exceptional person shared with me. no matter how long you live this way, there is always something new. have you tried the LC pasta from duo amici called pasta lite? I get it at the HFS. its pricy around 5 dollars a pound but goes far so its worth it..pretty chewy though! it has a nice flavor and I don't have to make homemade anymore. we have pasta or bread only once a week..even lc products are tricky if you let them fool you into thinking you can eat all you want.
Jane

sammiejam Tue, Jan-22-02 16:37

here in australia we have virtually no access to low carb products such as bread and pasta, or even sauces and worst of all, no brown sugar twin. I am involved with a company that is trying to import some but customs here is very difficult when it comes to anything with protein in it.

so we really have to experiment here!!

carbavoidr Fri, Jan-25-02 20:05

no low carb fast food?

wow... I have to admit it simply never occured to me that you don't have the same things on the shelves we do.
We are just this last year beginning to see those low carb (NASTY) bars in the discount stores and groceries, before we had to order them or go to the HFS. and the price has begun to drop too. and there are more and more ready made foods available if you hunt for them. can you get them on line by ordering or are you limited there too? I am sure others have offered but if you cannot order it on line send me and email: wanderingartists~email.com and what you need and I will put together a care package and get you some of the essentials. good luck Jane

sammiejam Fri, Jan-25-02 20:14

you are a darling!!!!!

we can order it online but the shipping costs are absolutely huge. A box of bake mix ends up costing about $85 !!!!!

my friend payed $70 postage for keto sticks, she didnt know that they are avalible in the chemist, she didnt think it was to funny but i couldnt help laughing.

i would love to take you up on this offer. You could private message me and we can arrange for me to send some money to you. It must be cheaper this way than online.

once again THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!

carbavoidr Mon, Jan-28-02 17:48

email

I don't know how to private email -- I posted mine but it came out with a squiggle instead of the AT symbol. so it would be wanderingartists AT email.com :D Let me know what you need, I will do my best. In a hurry for time, just wanted to speak..remember never yield.

O, a poem...

Of all the evils in the world...
Of Drugs and Drink and Sin...
How DUMB to fight a donut...
and let the donut win.
Jane