Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kick Nicotine Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   quitting smoking and cravings (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=28502)

SuperDave Sat, Dec-29-01 16:17

quitting smoking and cravings

when i lost my wieght from LC, i never really had cravings like some people mention. now as i near my goal wieght, i crave sugar and starch incredibly. i have evn gained back 8 pounds that i had lost. i don't feel like a failure or anything, its just progress not perfection. my problem is that i had planned along time ago to quit smoking on jan 01/02. but if i am giving into cravings now, what the hell am i going to be like when i need comforts from smoking? i really want to quit smoking, but fear without it, i may give into temptations even more. i really don't know what to do. die fat or of lung cancer. any suggestions for the cravings? :confused:

tamarian Sat, Dec-29-01 16:26

Re: quitting smoking and cravings

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperDave
planned along time ago to quit smoking on jan 01/02. but if i am giving into cravings now, what the hell am i going to be like when i need comforts from smoking?

Same here. Here's my plan so far, since I am worried of gain due to quitting, I plan to intensify my workouts and double my walking distance. I'm pretty sure this should counteract the metabolic/thermogenic effects from quitting smoking (as nicotine is thermogenic by itself).

Wa'il

zellie Sat, Dec-29-01 21:43

Go for it, I've had no food urges so far. I've watched my daily food intake, hasn't increased. I've had a desire for peppermint. I made peppermint jello.
I was terrified of food urges before I started, didn't happen to me.

Drink LOTS of water. Today I counted, I've had 6x1L bottles, so far. First 3 days I had much more, not sure how many.

After the first day I discovered desire for nicotine gone. I found alternating sips of cold and hot, helped control desire to smoke on day1.
Day 4 today, I feel the worst is over for me. I'm not worried about weight gain. I'm anxious to get to about 2 weeks after quitting to be sure I'm rid of the nicotine from my system.

The water controls your apetite. I've bloated because of over-hydrating, it's not fat. I'm sure as I decrease my water slowly, and get constipation under control again, the "weight gain" will go. I may be wrong ;) . I'm guessing, this is what my body is telling me so far.

PS .. I bought aniseed and fennel seeds, I chew on a small pinch, they help. Both are used as "breath fresheners" after a curry meal.

zellie Wed, Jan-02-02 18:09

What's up, Dave? How are you doing?

SuperDave Wed, Jan-02-02 19:20

response

well it is jan 02/02 and on the advice of several low-carbers i know, i didn't quit smoking. i have been trying to get my cravings under control and my new quit date is jan 10/02. i am not having as many cravings as i was, but boy wheb they hit; they hit hard! thanks for your concern :)

tamarian Wed, Jan-02-02 21:11

Hi Dave,

I have given the same advice a few times. I felt that if someone is low-carbing towards their goal, the added struggle to quit smoking may work against them.

A recent revelation, to the effects of nicotine on insulin resistance change my mind.

This is only one factor among several. So if the object is to reach goal before quitting, it may not be a bad choice. Especially considering that I have known a few who attempted this and failed (on both struggles). So, you're the best judge of your own body and reactions, and you're the person who should decide which fights to pick first :)

Wa'il