Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Popcorn? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=27450)

eleanor Wed, Dec-12-01 07:48

Popcorn?

Good Morning All!

Up this morning because I was down 6lbs. It must be working, I just started this last week. I do have a question about my addiction to popcorn in the evening...how bad is it? The good thing about it now is I can have it buttered guilt free! The bad thing is it just makes me want more. Oh well, that has been the downfall so far and I'm feeling pretty good. I am a little nervous about the cholesterol reading I got back from my dr. yesterday, it was elevated and my blood pressure was way high yesterday too, that might have something to do with too much stress though. I guess after all these years of worrying about eating meat and raising cholesterol I will have to recondition myself. But how can all that meat and fat lower cholesterol? By the way I have a pound of bacon cooking (will save some for later) and eggs waiting right now. This forum is great! I enjoy checking in every so often. Thanks for the support!--El

agonycat Wed, Dec-12-01 07:58

Popcorn has around 7 carbs per popped cup. Depending on which diet you are following, during induction this is a no no.

In layman's terms the way this high protein, low carb diet works without hardening your arteries is this:

You restrict your carb intake, forcing your body to convert into a fat burning metabolism instead of sugar burning. The fat you consume in your diet, gets converted to fuel BEFORE it hits your blood stream, to be stored else where.

That is it's simplest explanation. I HIGHLY recommend you read CAD, Dr Atkins or Protein Power and chose a plan to stick with.

Welcome and good luck!

EllieEats Wed, Dec-12-01 08:23

Hi Ellie!!

WOW!! Congrats on the 6 lbs!!! :thup:
It can't be easy with 3 teenagers in the house--- snacking is a WOL when you're a teen!
I do agree you should decide on a plan. if you absolutely can't give up the popcorn --- on carb addicts, you could eat dinner later and fill in the end part of your hour with popcorn. Personally, I didn't care for that plan ( felt like a pig trying to get in all my craving foods with my meal and then felt like a beached whale the rest of the night!)
There must be something where you can eventually add in some popcorn.
Mean while--- you've done great!!
Ellie :wave:

eleanor Wed, Dec-12-01 08:41

No more popcorn!

I know with the induction popcorn is a no no, I'll try to do better! I've been reading Atkins and trying to follow the induction, but no popcorn...(whining just a little bit!) The tech part of the plan I understand it's just hard to get it to sink in. Thanks for the continued support!--El

gwilson38 Thu, Dec-13-01 12:12

regarding your elevated levels.....stick to this diet and get it checked in another month..Ill bet they will be reduced.