Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Carbs in plain tofu? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=268238)

Akasha Thu, Sep-29-05 13:35

Carbs in plain tofu?

Anyone know how many carbs and/or calories are in a cup of firm, cooked tofu. I am having trouble finding it on fitday. Thanks.

WyoDiva Thu, Sep-29-05 13:40

According to the MY P.L.A.N. tool on this forum, 1 oz of firm tofu is about .2 carb ECC. But - there are at least a dozen types/firmness of tofu. Try going into the MY P.L.A.N. and searching for 'tofu' - then pick the one closest to the kind you are using and 'add' it to see the calories and carb count. ;)

Sue L Sat, Oct-01-05 21:47

The tofu I have seen has various amounts of carbs depending on what kind it is. If I remember correctly, the extra-firm tofu has more carbs while the soft silken tofu has less, but you would really need to check the package.
~sue

Gemmafafen Tue, Oct-04-05 06:31

Yeah, my silken tofu has way less carbs per 100g than firm stuff. I actually prefer silken- I'm all about crazy textures and tastes in food. Akasha what you doing w ur tofu??? I'm stuck for lc ideas except marinating it in soy sauce- erm, boring after a while.

pookster Tue, Oct-04-05 06:58

Get the firm or medium tofu
cut into small cubes
fry on very high heat in very hot oil until outside is light brown and crispy
remove from heat and toss in in a pre-mixed mixture of soy, splenda and sesame oil

very decadent

Gemmafafen Tue, Oct-04-05 08:15

Arhhhhhhhhhhh sounds seriously lush, thanx Pookster, I will try that tonite X

Sue L Tue, Oct-04-05 11:29

Try freezing the firm tofu then thawing and pressing out any water before frying and it will hold together better and have a meatier texture. If you have ever had the tofu in a stir-fry at a Chinese restaurant and wondered why the tofu tastes a little different that is why.
There have been recipes for things like cheesecake with tofu, but I am not sure if they used sugar. You would have to adapt it to low carb.

pookster Tue, Oct-04-05 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmafafen
Arhhhhhhhhhhh sounds seriously lush, thanx Pookster, I will try that tonite X

Let me know what you think of it Gemmafafen :)

Thanks for the advice SueL...I'll have to try that

Fireball Wed, Oct-05-05 14:58

I've made moc mac 'n cheese....cut firm tofu into strips, then cut in half. Mix w/garlic powder, dash of cayenne, a couple tbsp cream and shredded cheese - about 2 cups. Mix together, put in shallow, oiled baking dish & bake at 350 until cheese is bubbly & starting to turn golden. I love it & could eat the whole thing! :yum:

PilotGal Sat, Oct-08-05 19:44

Leesa brand has come out with a "high protein" tofu, that has nearly no carbs, and very little fat!