Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Whipped Cream (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=24804)

cosima22 Mon, Nov-05-01 10:27

Whipped Cream

I am very new to the Atkins diet, but canned whipped cream all seems to be sweetened with sugar and corn syrup etc. EVEN though it SAYS 0 carbs or less than 1 gram. When I read some of these threads folks are saying that strawberries and hwipped cream are ok for dessert... and I would love to have something sweet.

I guess I am scared to try it and have it put me into gaining mode. Any one out there know the deal??? :rolleyes:

scase Mon, Nov-05-01 10:33

It's very easy to make your own whipped cream:

Heavy whipping cream
Artificial sweetener (I use Splenda)

Mix these together with a handmixer until the consistency you desire. It's a good idea to put the beaters and the bowl in the freezer ahead of time to make it very cold. The cream whips up better and quicker!

I don't think you need to add anything else (I'm doing it from memory) but I'm sure someone will correct me. :)

Regards,
Stephanie

RamonaK Mon, Nov-05-01 11:10

Yes.. and it is the perfect treat!

I made chicken cordon bleu and a spinach salad with raspberry/dijon vinegarette... with jello and whipped cream for dessert... had my hubby purring....

I find I am totally satisified on this program... of course I am on day 4 :)

Ramona

alto Mon, Nov-05-01 11:28

I knew that canned whipped cream (Redi-Whip in my part of the world) was too good to be true. 0 carbs! Probably .9 carbs per teaspoonful l(suggested serving size) so that if you eat half a can of it, as I did on one of my past LC forays in midnight desperation, you'll regret it! (Not only over the carb limit, but not nice to the tummy.)

otenn Mon, Nov-05-01 11:53

Yepper, just visit the dairy section of your supermarket. It should come in cartons just like milk or 1/2 and 1/2. Mine says 33% Whipping Cream. I just use a little at a time, and mix it with a very small bit of splenda. A decandent treat. Not as quick as the redi whip to dispense, but at least you have the added excitement of freaking out your dog or 1 year old with the sound of the mixer!

:D
Mari

Doodle Mon, Nov-05-01 13:28

YES! What a coincidence. I freaked out both my dog and my one year old this evening with the sound of the mixer! Whipping cream too! I need to get out more.

Bellla63 Mon, Nov-05-01 15:46

YUM, Whipped Cream

I too just buy the heavy whipping cream to make my own. What I do is add some cinnamon or a bit of vanilla extract to the cream...and then I make my "fake" cappucino's..I love whipped cream...even without the sugar!!! :D

Atriana Tue, Nov-06-01 05:13

There is a great kitchen gadget called the Isi. Basically it is a cannister that holds 2 cups of cream. You add a couple of packets of splenda or other flavoring, add the charger, shake it, and you have instant whipped cream that is low carb and zero effort. It stays good in the refrigerator for about 14 days and dispenses just like a can of supermarket whipped cream.

lilwannabe Tue, Nov-06-01 10:27

I find it best to make whipped cream in a glass bowl too. Plastic doesn't seem to work very well.

mjchyzy Tue, Nov-06-01 14:49

Please - amounts?

Tried to make the whipping cream for my sugar free lime jello - I bought the heavy whipping cream and guessed on the sugar amount...

I have both powdered sugar twin and liquid splenda... how much sweetner per cup of cream???

Mine was yucky! The kitty wouldn't even eat it :-(

Any advise would be helpful :-)

Mary

RamonaK Thu, Nov-08-01 00:14

whipped cream science

I too am seeking to perfect whip cream. Mary your comment was hysterical! Made me laugh out loud --- alone! 'Mine was yucky" "Kitty wouldn't even eat it" I love that...

I made whipped cream in the blender on low. I added 1 splenda and cocoa... loved it!!!!! Until I realized whipped cream, atleast the one I had was 1g per tablespoon. So that was my splurge for the a while. I will be more attentive.. but it was awesome!!!!!

Ramona

RamonaK Thu, Nov-08-01 00:16

The Isi

Atriana... where do we find this handy gadget... the Isi.. ?

Ramona

Atriana Thu, Nov-08-01 06:26

I got mine at Lechter's in the mall. But you can order them at
www.isi-store.com
In addition to making unsweetened or artificially sweetened whipped cream, you can also make flavored whipped cream.

RamonaK Thu, Nov-08-01 08:06

Thanks

Yummosa ---- thanks!!!!!