Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sooooo Tired (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=24353)

AngieH Mon, Oct-29-01 17:38

Sooooo Tired

Today is my second day LCing, but I am EXTREMELY tired. At work today I could barely keep my eyes open. Is this possibly the affect of no carbs? I hope it doesn't last..... :(
Also, I've read in a lot of posts that the more fat, the better. Why is that? I really don't understand how someone eating more fat will help them shed lbs. An explanation would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks, Angie

duchesse Mon, Oct-29-01 20:21

Hi Angie,

Exactly the same thing happens to me too between the second day till almost the end of the 4th... I think it takes some time for the body to get used to it...

Don't worry because it does go away.

good luck low carbing,

maggie

tamarian Mon, Oct-29-01 20:30

Hi Angie.

Make sure you take a daily multi-vitamin, and additional potassium and cal-meg. This should eliminate the tiredness side effect of the first few days.

Eating more fat (by itself) will not help you lose weight. The magic formula is in not eating carbs along with the fat. Once you restrict the carbs, eating healthy, non-hydroginated fats is just nutritious and gives the benefits of the omigas and all the good stuff. This is well-explained in Protein Pwer. :thup:

Wa'il

Natrushka Mon, Oct-29-01 20:37

supplements

Angie, what you're experiencing is a combination of carb w/drawal and electrolyte loss. You're body is flushing out a lot of excess water and along with it things like sodium, potassium and chloride.

As wa'il suggested get yourself a good multi vitamin, some potassium and a calcium / magnesium supplement. Potassium you can get cheap in a product called "NuSalt". You take 1/8th teaspoon and mix it with a very large glass of water. This will give you 300+ mg of potassium. Do this 2x a day during Induction and once a day thereafter.

Mag/Cal you want in the same pill (ration 2:1, 333 mg calcium / 167 mg magnesium) take one with each meal and one an hour before bed. the RDA for calcium is 800 - 1500 mg and for Mag it's 400 - 500 mg. Be sure you get a chelated supplement as they are better absorped by the body.

Potassium will aide with fatigue and Magnesium will help with muscle cramping which often accompanies LCing. Magnesium before bed will also greatly increase the quality of sleep.

Nat

AngieH Mon, Oct-29-01 22:25

Thanks everyone!

Thanks so much for the info. Very Helpful!
:spin:

gwilson38 Tue, Oct-30-01 15:10

Hi Angie, just wanted to add my experience too. Day 2-6 was real bad for me. Not only was my body screaming for carbs I cut out drinking my 2 pots of coffee a day. I went thru huge withdrawls for a few days. BUT...it got much much better. Potassium was a huge thing for me. I didnt realize how depleated my sysytem was until I did some research and found out that I was dizzy and had muscle weakness cause of lack of potassium. Once I started taking extra in within 24 hrs I felt better. Just give yourself a couple more days and I am sure U will be fine

AngieH Tue, Oct-30-01 16:35

Thanks a bunch! I'm going to GNC after work to get some potassium supplements. :)
BTW, I saw your stats and although I don't know how long you've been at your current weight I just want to say "way to go!!". You've reached your goal weight, and it's people like you who keep me motivated to keep at it!! :thup:

Natrushka Tue, Oct-30-01 19:47

Thx, Angie :)

If you want to find out more about a member, hit the icon under the post called "profile" and all their pertinent info will pop up in a separate window.

Nat

gwilson38 Tue, Oct-30-01 20:29

I have been on Atkins since april 2nd of this year. It took about 4 months to get to my goal weight and I will be heading into my 3rd month now. You are kind for saying I am an inspiration but I find this whole forum such an inspiration. There are many at goal weight but so many more that are struggling to get there. AND this is a WOL not a diet so each day we all must make a concious effort to continue the battle. :)