Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Quick Meals & Snacks (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Philly cheese steak (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=22150)

tamarian Mon, Oct-01-01 16:52

Philly cheese steak

This was a real quick and easy meal. Not really a recipe. I grilled a steak, toasted 2 slices of low-carb bread (Shepherd's Loaf), and spread garlic butter on them. Oh, and I added a slice of onions to the stove-top iron grill. Had the steak on the garlic bread with cheese and the grilled onions. Yum. :yum:

This may become a regular meal! 5 grams ECC :thup:

Wa'il

Sharon Mon, Oct-01-01 17:01

great minds think alike

Hey Wa'il...great minds think alike....this is almost identical to what we had for supper last night.... Only difference is I wasn't smart enough to think of the garlic butter for the bread!! (Good idea). I added a few mushrooms with the onion and used swiss cheese.

tamarian Mon, Oct-01-01 17:05

Re: great minds think alike

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharon
Only difference is I wasn't smart enough to think of the garlic butter for the bread!! (Good idea).

Well, I was shopping yesterday and found these sticks of garlic-butter. I never knew they existed. A bought one, and tasted it, it was really strong garlic flavour :thup: So, the :idea: just popped up to toast it and use the garlic butter.

Wa'il

Sharon Mon, Oct-01-01 17:13

garlic butter

I've never seen it either...but I'm not surprised it's available.

Muse Mon, Oct-01-01 17:34

Hello guys...just wondering,
This recipe sounds phenomenal...I am on Atkins Induction right now...at what point can we start indulging in low carb bread?

And, when you say low carb...is it something that says that on the outside, or is it a multigrain, no sugar bakery bread.

Thanks, new to this Atkins stuff, and guess I sorta assumed bread of any kind would never be allowed...(haven't gotten to that chapter yet...induction day 8, sigh)

Muse :wave:

tamarian Mon, Oct-01-01 18:15

Quote:
This recipe sounds phenomenal...I am on Atkins Induction right now...at what point can we start indulging in low carb bread?

It depends on the bread, and how low-carb it is. This one if very high-protein, very low-carb and quite safe for induction. 2 slices a day is just 4 grams of carb.

Quote:
And, when you say low carb...is it something that says that on the outside, or is it a multigrain, no sugar bakery bread.

I made this one. You can check the recipe under recipes / breads / "Sheperd's Loaf".

Wa'il

Muse Mon, Oct-01-01 18:21

Thanks so much Wa'il I will! Sounds delish!

Muse

Karen Mon, Oct-01-01 18:30

Be very,very careful with this kind of stuff Muse. If you read through the journals, you will probably notice that those who are successful with this WOL are those that use very few of these products and eat fresh proteins and vegetables. I think you've been here long enough to have read about the "Atkins Bar posts" causing stalls and cravings. Not all carbs are created equal. However, everyone is different and YMMV.

Karen

debbiedobson Mon, Oct-01-01 19:35

i order philly cheese steak sandwiches in restaurants and tell them to hold the bread or bun. i then just eat with a fork and knife! it's every bit as delicious w/out the bread! not you knock your recipe wa'il!;)

tamarian Mon, Oct-01-01 19:43

Quote:
Originally posted by debbiedobson
not you knock your recipe wa'il!;)

That's what Karen just did! :tears:

Wa'il :lol:

Karen Mon, Oct-01-01 19:50

Ha! Not your recipe, just...possibly... the bread! ;)

BTW, it sounds really good, especially with the garlic butter. Add a few fried hot peppers the next time, or maybe a Habanero!

I just made a loaf of your bread today for sausage stuffing next weekend...

Karen

tamarian Mon, Oct-01-01 20:03

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
I just made a loaf of your bread today for sausage stuffing next weekend...

How's the texture?

I discovered that if you mix it really fast and set in the pan asap, it allows it to rise more. I'll revise the recipe to reflect this, to prevent a second rise problem.

Wa'il

Karen Mon, Oct-01-01 22:46

What I did was beat it 100 times to help activate the gluten, but it turned out about the same as yours. I thought it would rise higher after the beating. The texture was good though.

Karen

judymules Thu, Nov-08-01 14:13

What is Shepard's Bread? Sounds great I love steak and onions.

tamarian Thu, Nov-08-01 14:53

Quote:
Originally posted by judymules
What is Shepard's Bread? Sounds great I love steak and onions.

It's a recipe by yours truley :rolleyes: posted on our web site here:
http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread104.html

Wa'il