Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   One small win for me, one giant leap for Atkins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=211280)

Jacinthe Sat, Sep-25-04 15:26

One small win for me, one giant leap for Atkins

Ever since I started on Atkins in December 2003, I have had to defend myself against what I call the 'Three Esses' - Snickers, Scepticism and Snide Remarks:

'It's not healthy'

'It can't work'

'I'm sure your loss is temporary'. (This one is so patronising and often said by someone who believes that sugar-laden lowfat yoghurt is better for them than my small bowl of cashews).

So, approximately six months ago, I decide to put my WOE of eating to the test. Five friends (all of whom eat a high-carb low-fat diet) and myself (the sole Atkins participant) entered into a pact whereby we would compare our overall fitness levels over a six month period.

Basic comparisons of body fat, insulin, cholestorol and a raft of other indicators requiring blood tests, overall kg loss, and how many dress sizes dropped were used to identify who did the best.

To make it interesting, we each put in $100 with the winner taking the whole $600 at the end of the six months.

The results after six months.

Greatest amount of kg loss: Me
Greatest amoung of dress size reduction: Me
Great loss of body fat: That would be...... Me!

More importantly, best results in terms of insulin, cholesterol levels and a raft of other tests: Yep, it was me. I had the best blood work of all.

The doctor who did our tests was astounded. He had discounted my WOE from the get-go and here he was scratching his head (literally) trying to figure out why everything he had ever been taught about eating regimes was turning out to be complete bunkum.

And now I'm $600 richer! :lol:

I proved the validity of my WOE of eating to sceptics, at least two of which are now considering the benefits of Atkins. It may be a small victory in terms of turning people's minds around, but small steps will lead to those great leaps where our WOE is accepted as normal and healthy.

Quillain Sat, Sep-25-04 15:47

All right! Way to go! Buy yourself something really fancy. ^_^

TrinnyJo Sat, Sep-25-04 15:49

Whoo hoo!

I love hearing about things like this! Thank You! :Party: :Party: :Party:

Trinny

4biddenEve Sat, Sep-25-04 15:54

That is great! I think I should do the same. I need some money...LOL
It's hard for others to understand how this WOE has changed us. Unless they are in the same boat. I am so glad you left your doctor wondering. LOL
Congrats on your loss!!!

angeljandy Sat, Sep-25-04 15:57

Congratulations...a job well done!!!

Bronx_Guy Sat, Sep-25-04 16:13

wow thats awesome

*looks around for some suckers HE can make bets with*

Jacinthe Sat, Sep-25-04 16:28

Thanks guys! I was pretty chuffed by the result because, even though I know Atkins works for me, I was unsure as to whether that knowledge would bear out in actual blood tests etc.

I am planning to spend my new found wealth ( ;) ) on some new summer clothes (we're getting into summer in Australia) which I have not bought for six years due to being embarassed about having to buy plus sizes. I can now fit into 'regular' clothes which has opened a whole new world for me.

black57 Sat, Sep-25-04 16:47

Jacinth, what a great story. Yes, Doctors are scratching thier heads. It is a good thing that we don't have to rely on them to tell us the best way to eat.

Skweezzy Sat, Sep-25-04 18:25

that is so totally cool!

CONGRATS!

(what a great story!)

CindySue48 Sat, Sep-25-04 20:59

That's great! I wish I could get a bunch of people to do the same! LOL I can use the money!

Fhyreworks Mon, Sep-27-04 05:49

Congratulations! What a wonderful vindication of this WOL :)

It gives me hope to see that you started at the same weight I did and look at where you are now! I hope I can be at least close to there when I've finished 10 months myself (4+ down 6- to go).

Keep up (or down ;) ) the awesome work!

Debbie

bob2112 Mon, Sep-27-04 06:27

Awesome and congratulations on a job well done!!

tom sawyer Mon, Sep-27-04 07:51

You should feel bad for fleecing those poor folks. Guess there's a sucker born every minute, and we know suckers are made of sugar. Glad to hear you not only improved yourself (and your wallet), but also improved the lives of your competitors and that doctor. Hopefully they will spread the word and your victory will snowball into thousands of Aussie pounds lost.

LC-Laur Mon, Sep-27-04 09:04

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... they never saw that one coming!

kyrasdad Mon, Sep-27-04 09:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom sawyer
You should feel bad for fleecing those poor folks. Guess there's a sucker born every minute, and we know suckers are made of sugar.

Best quote ever! :lol: