Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Coffee??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=209614)

sugarjunky Wed, Sep-15-04 20:28

Coffee???

I'm a coffee fiend. I have read some conflicting opinions surrounding drinking coffee during induction.

Thoughts and experiences?

Rosebud Wed, Sep-15-04 20:40

Hi Sugarjunky,

I personally don't drink coffee, but many people here continue with it and still lose, and lose well. ;)

I know Dr Atkins says not to, but I believe some of his supplements contain caffeine... :rolleyes:

So I would suggest to perhaps cut down if you drink a lot of it, otherwise enjoy your morning cup of java. Maybe if you find at some point you are not losing, you could consider stopping then.

Cheers.

Rosebud

bigted Wed, Sep-15-04 21:08

I switched to decaf and bought a better grade of coffee and like it than the cheap rubbish I used to drink. I grind a lot of my own beans and make some really good cups of coffee.

hifive Wed, Sep-15-04 21:29

I read something about coffee made from freshly ground beans not having carbs. Is this true?

sugarjunky Wed, Sep-15-04 21:39

No. It's not the carbs in coffee, from what I understand. It's the fact that caffeine can raise your blood sugar, therefor reducing your fat burning due to not reaching ketosis or something like that. :q:

I'm just wanting to know if this has been found true for anyone who has decided to just go ahead and drink it.

I only drink fresh ground, and my coffee of choice used to be (two days ago) a mocha with two shots of espresso, with steamed skim. YUM......................

So anyhow, I'm searching for "success with real coffee" stories. :) I'll switch to decaf if I HAVE to, but boy will that limit my pleasure. :rolleyes:

WantsMore Wed, Sep-15-04 21:39

I have began to drink coffee a few times a week and found no problem, I'm losing pretty quickly. I guess if you see it stopping the lose then quit.

KCD Wed, Sep-15-04 21:44

I've drank real coffee every morning since the beginning and haven't noticed it effecting my weight loss. I drink it black so there is no added carbs from cream or sweetner.

Mocha used to be my favorite too. Occasionally I'll have a sweet coffee at night made with espresso, davinci chocolate syrup, and a bit of cream. It doesn't taste exactly like a mocha, but it works for me.

Milhafre Wed, Sep-15-04 21:50

I have been eating mostly low carb for nearly 8 years now, and I've never given up my coffee. At home on the weekends, I make coffee in a French press with freshly ground beans. I usually drink 2-3 mugs of it. During the week, I go to Starbucks or a local coffee house. In hot weather, I have 4 shots of espresso, iced, with a splash of half and half. In cooler weather, it's a 16 oz. coffee (hot) with a shot of espresso, black. Occasionally more. Every day.

It is a YMMV thing, though.

CindyG Wed, Sep-15-04 21:55

I switched to decaf for induction, but went back to fully loaded shortly after. I still managed to lose 50 pounds with the caffiene. I say go for it!

hifive Wed, Sep-15-04 22:07

Sorry; I wasn't very clear--I know it's not the carbs in coffee that are the problem--I was just curious about the brewed-from-freshly-ground-beans phenomenon, and wondered why that would make a difference.

I myself drink 2-3 cups a day, and did all through Induction, without any ill effects...still losing.

black57 Wed, Sep-15-04 22:16

Sugarjunky is correct. It is not the carbs, it's the spike in insulin, which happens to some, that is suspicious.

kristenv Thu, Sep-16-04 05:23

I have done a blend of 1/2 decaf and 1/2reg. since induction, I am a slow loser but I do not think it because if the coffee.

One comment though, I have found that when I consume more than say 1-2 cups, I do experience the insulin surge, so perhaps just see how your body responds and go from there.

Good Luck!

taming Thu, Sep-16-04 06:19

I've wondered if some of the headaches people sometimes report in the first few days after beginning Atkins is related to caffein withdrawal rather than to going low carb.

sugarjunky Thu, Sep-16-04 07:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifive
Sorry; I wasn't very clear--I know it's not the carbs in coffee that are the problem--I was just curious about the brewed-from-freshly-ground-beans phenomenon, and wondered why that would make a difference.

I myself drink 2-3 cups a day, and did all through Induction, without any ill effects...still losing.

Oh woops! I misunderstood you, I'm sorry.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I'm drinking coffee right now, cheers!!! :yum:

blue4lemon Thu, Sep-16-04 08:40

I think it's personal, and varies from time to time in your life. One time, I had to give up caffiene because not only was the caffiene stalling me, it was also causing blood sugar and insulin reactions. I was addicted to the caffiene as well and giving me awful headaches. Now, months later, I drink it every day, sometimes both breakfast and mid afternoon aound 3 or 4, and have no problem. Sometimes it even staves off my hunger and low blood sugar pangs. How's that for wierd? It's one of those YMMV things. I drink mine with liquid sweetnlow and 1 tbs heavy cream or half and half, for the fat. Love that fat.