Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Breakfast Ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Pumpkin Pancakes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=209426)

CheriYM Tue, Sep-14-04 22:20

Pumpkin Pancakes

Pumpkin Pancakes
2 servings (recipe doubles easily)

1 egg - beaten
1/2 cup pumpkin puree'
1 tablespoons soft or melted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sourcream
2 packets splenda or equivalent
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup flaxseed meal
1/3 cup whey protein powder

Lightly beat the egg and blend in pumpkin, butter, vanilla and sourcream.
Combine the dry ingredients and add to the batter, mixing well.
These work better if you make smaller pancakes. I used about 1/3 cup batter per pancake and made 4 pancakes. The batter will be a little thick and you'll need to spread it a bit when you drop it in the pan. Turn carefully as these are more fragile (since they don't have all that flour holing them together!) and they will take longer to cook than regular pancackes. Cook at medium-low heat in a non-stick skillet w/ butter. Serve with SF maple syrup or cream cheese and splenda. You could also add chopped pecans to this.

Per serving: 286 cals/18.5g fat/20.5g protein/9g fiber/4.5 net carbs(13.5)

jadefox26 Wed, Sep-15-04 04:03

Wow they sound really good!!!!!
I'm going to get the ingredients and try them! thanks!
xxx

moesie Thu, Oct-14-04 18:41

Hi Cheryl
thanks for a great recipe I made these yesterday and they were wonderful. I did not have whey powder and used soya powder instead.....but they were still wondeful
:yum:

canadiank Sun, Oct-17-04 12:35

Pumkin Sub?

when you say pumpkin.. u could use canned or fresh right?
ANY recommendation for using fresh (what to look for... should u beat it or add anything etc)

CheriYM Sun, Oct-17-04 17:19

Sure, you could use fresh - just bake it well and then puree it.

GQueen Wed, Jan-05-05 22:57

How about using pork rinds in place of the flaxseed meal and the whey protein? Do you think it would work? I might try that and that way it would be ok for induction. Wouldn't it?

GQ

CheriYM Thu, Jan-06-05 01:43

I haven't tried cooking w/ the pork rinds - but it's worth a try. Let me know how it comes out!

Nancy101 Sun, Feb-06-05 11:17

I made these today substituting a 1/4 cup of almond flour in place of the flaxseed and whey protein. They were DELICIOUS! I didn't add butter in the actual recipe though, but put a smidge on top. They were very filling.

Have you tried making and freezing any? I have a little batter left and maybe later I'll try that. It was a very quick breakfast - 3 minutes to assemple and then cook.

cmcole Mon, Feb-07-05 11:37

Flaxseed meal is fine for Induction.
It is recommended in DANDR as a cure for constipation.
Of course, you don't eat it to excess (which is an obvious statement), and these pancakes should be fine.

TVMichelle Mon, Feb-14-05 14:12

Made these Saturday and they were FANTASTIC! This is a definite "make again!" They are also so incredibly filling - I thought I would scarf down the whole thing, but there was no way. I used a little SF syrup and it was just like having pumpkin pancakes at IHOP (back in the "old days" :lol: )

Thanks, Cheri!!

Michelle