Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   showing net carbs on fitday (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=209339)

blue4lemon Tue, Sep-14-04 12:45

showing net carbs on fitday

I don't know if anyone else figured this out, but it was driving me nuts to have to look at the foods I ate and have to mentally subtract the non-net carbs. I just put the net carb grams in the carb line, and then increased the protien by about 3 times, and adjusted it until the calories matched up. I also saved all the foods I eat as custom foods so I don't have to correct the eggs to single eggs rather than the 1 cup of eggs fitday put in (who eats eggs by the cup?). Fitday is WAY easier now.

Dawna Tue, Sep-14-04 18:02

So, why would you not want to track your protein as well as the carbs and calories?

nowonder Tue, Sep-14-04 19:27

Fitday doesn't compute "net carbs" because not everyone agrees what a net carb is. Some say just carbs minus fiber, some subtract all sugar alcohols... Some just seem to make up numbers :lol:

So until the FDA hands down an official definition of net carbs, I won't expect to see them on fitday.

--nw

blue4lemon Tue, Sep-14-04 19:46

i didn't mean to say that fitdays SHOWS net carbs, i was suggesting to anyone who gets annoyed subtracting non-net carbs that you could alter the protien or the fat calories. of course, your protien and fat are important as well. my aim wasn't to suggest that those are unimportant, but since we are on low carb diets, and our main concern IS carbs, that it may be easier to keep track of your carbs that way.

does this make sense to anyone but me??

nowonder Tue, Sep-14-04 20:50

Gotcha! If I used fitday more, I would probably try it.

--nw

blue4lemon Tue, Sep-14-04 20:54

nowonder,

fitday is GREAT. it kinda takes a minute or two to figure it out, but its great. it's way better than keeping a little notebook in my bag and writing in it after i eat (which always incites laughter from my friends and boyfriend). and calories are a pain to compute on your own. keeping track of carbs in my head all day is one thing, but calories, that's another.

HollyAyott Tue, Sep-14-04 21:00

LOL how hard is it to subtract the fiber line from the carb line? JMO but you maybe want to just do the deduction later on you may choose to look back and see what you ate when and what fat and cal level you lost best at.... JMO but whatever works !

hifive Wed, Sep-15-04 21:12

I agree with Holly; keeping track of your protein intake is important enough that I would not want to obscure it by fiddling with the numbers.

Then again, it doesn't bother me at all to look at the little inset box and subtract fiber from carbs to get net carbs.

Built Wed, Sep-15-04 21:27

I agree about tracking protein - if protein is too high, you can actually knock yourself out of ketosis. You need to track the ratios of fat, protein, and carbs. For your basic ketogenic diet, your calories should work out to roughly 65-70% fat / 25-30% protein /5% carb

caligrrl Thu, Sep-16-04 13:10

Fitday PC does show you net carbs, you just have to adjust the settings. Not sure about the online version.