Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Induction question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=207967)

ex_vegan Mon, Sep-06-04 23:15

Induction question

before I start let me explain I have read a lot of low carb books including DANDR which is sitting quite happily next to me open to the chapter about induction. I wanted to fuse neanderthin and Atkin's induction together. Neanderthin is a very simple form of lo c-ing in which only meat, eggs, veggies, nuts, and fruits are allowed. No dairy, no aspartame, nada. I like the idea of neanderthin but would like to try to do an atkins-esque induction following its priciples. I live in a college dorm and have a college cafeteria therefore I do not have access to such gourmet offerings as "braised lamb" and "pork loin."

I have been trying to think about how I could get enough fat and I cannot come up with any ideas that do not involve cheese or mayo. So perhaps for convienence sakes and my sanity I will involve cheese for now.

Anyway...menu ideas based on what cafeteria offers...

breakfast: in my room b/c the cafeteria only serves carby stuff and their brekky stuff that is low carb is disgusting

I was thinking two chicken thighs and a piece of string cheese and water

lunch: a big salad from their salad bar with spinach, romaine, hardboiled eggs, and meat of the day, and perhaps more shredded cheese

snacks: chicken, string cheese, tuna, hb eggs (not all at once just ideas)

dinner: same as lunch except I will be able to get hamburger patties

I thought that this sounded okay and that when I had lost the weight I would ditch the cheese in favor of more carbs from fruits like apples, berries, melon, and pears. and also more veggies. I know about drinking loads of water too and taking my vitamins. Any input or ideas is most welcome.

LadyBelle Tue, Sep-07-04 00:35

You can do a version of KISS where you do the neanderthal without the fruit. Fats can come from avacados, oils, butter and so on. I have a campus apartment so most of my meals are cooked at home, but for an example of meals that could work for you

Eggs with zucchini hashbrowns
bacon fried cabbage
omlette with spinach and mayo filling

Also you say when you ditch the weight adding back in foods. Do it before your goal weight is reached, that way by the time you reach goal you'll have carb tolerence built back up and know what your body can't and can handle. Sticking to induction the whole time can leave alot of people floundeirng once they near goal.

ex_vegan Tue, Sep-07-04 17:20

sugar cravings

Thanks for the yummy ideas! How does one overcome the sugar cravings and lethargy that always seem to hit me big time by the third day?

rloveman Tue, Sep-07-04 20:27

Mostly wait it out; the cravings should pass pretty soon. Or sometimes eating extra fat can help.

LadyBelle Tue, Sep-07-04 20:31

some people say l-glutamine can help. You need to get the high dose powdder stuff you can find in stores for weight lifters.

The thing that helps me most is to avoid all sweet things entirely. I find by keepign it clean and trying to avoid even artificial sweetners I get past that hump and soon sweets seem completely unappitizing. Then I can add back in a few things here and there like sweetner in my coffee and the occaisonal dessert (LC of course)

Spaghetti squash is coming back into season again. Make up some ot keep in the fridge. Then reheat and top with garlic butter for a side dish, or make spaghetti meatballs. Also jicama mock applesauce can be a wonderful sweet treat made form veggies you can add in later that is a great appitite suppressor.

ex_vegan Wed, Sep-08-04 09:21

how is this for menu for first day?

this is what I ate/will eat today based on what is available to me

breakfast: two chicken thighs with skin, 2 ounces of cheese :yum:

lunch: 3 hardboiled eggs, spinach and romaine

snack: 2 ounces of cheese

dinner: a hamburger patty and more veggies

I also drank plenty of water and took my vitamins

I agree that artificial sweeteners and I do not get along!

Birddog Wed, Sep-08-04 11:55

If your trying to up your fat. Sausage has plenty to spare. I love owens reg. breafast sausage. Yummy :yum:

VickySail Wed, Sep-08-04 12:04

The baggies of plain or pre-seasoned tuna (Chicken of the Sea) can also be eaten right out of the pouch, and keep well in dorm situations. Of course, the restaurant packets of mayo don't need refrigeration either, and are usually available in cafeterias. That'll add some fat, AND protein.

Vicky

LC-Laur Wed, Sep-08-04 12:16

All I've got to add here is that I'm SO glad I'm not in the dorms anymore... Graduating from University was the best thing to happen to my body!!! (c:

Sounds like you're doing pretty good though, keep up the great work!

tom sawyer Wed, Sep-08-04 12:45

Peanut butter is also a good high-fat food, a couple of tablespoons on some celery is a great snack that stays with you. Worth the few carbs it carries. Melons and berries can even be a modest part of induction, at least they were for me. And I ate a lot of nuts, almonds/pecans/black walnuts. Couldn't afford the macadamias. Any of the nuts can sub for cheese as a snack or side dish. You can throw nuts in a stir fry.

ex_vegan Wed, Sep-08-04 14:27

Nuts....
I love them but eat way too many of them when I have them around. That is why I have decided to not have any within 30 feet of me during the 2 week induction period. For some reason I do not feel like ever eating too much cheese so I keep that around for snacks instead.

I cannot wait to see if I have lost weight by the end of the week! It is like christmas...yeah I am a dork! How much do people generally lose during the first week?

VickySail Thu, Sep-09-04 06:34

Younger people? Usually 3-8 lbs, as long as you don't cheat (that includes alcohol) and drink your water (and don't use prescription drugs that may interfere). The SECOND week is where it cooks better. The first week is water.

Ah, to have the metabolism of youth again!

Vicky

ex_vegan Thu, Sep-09-04 14:13

I am on an anti-depressant! Will that make it impossible for me to lose weight? I have been eating "perfectly", chugging my water, taking my vitamins, and exercising. I am scared now! I am on Wellbutrin because that is one of the few anti-depressants that do not contribute to weight gain (supposedly)

I had a truly terrible diet for the past 3 months and zero activity or veggies (and this had the effect of me gaining 15lbs) so I am hoping the prescription will not interfere too much compared to my previous habits.

ex_vegan Thu, Sep-09-04 18:22

bump :q: :q: :q:

LadyBelle Fri, Sep-10-04 00:38

The antidepressent can make it more difficult depending on what kind you take, but not impossible.

Alot of how much weight is lost depends on how much you need to lose to get to a healthy weight. One number that is seen on here is 10% of what you need to in induction and 5% of the remaining each month after. If you are already at a healthy weight you may lose nothing. If you have over 100 pounds to lose, then it could go much faster.

With the antidepressent alot can depend on how you act as a depressed person. Some people can't eat at all while depressed and lose massive amounts of weight. When they get medication thier appitite comes bakc and they may gain some. Others are emotional eaters and eat constantly until they get medication or help then weight loss is easier.

I love Sandman comics btw :)