Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Time to start again..... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=201502)

Mindyd Mon, Aug-02-04 18:55

Time to start again.....

Wow - the last time I logged on was January 1, 2003 ! Think it's time to get back on the wagon, since I've now put back on most of the 45 pounds I originally lost. Very sad. Today is the first day back on the strict regimen and I'm going to make this work. I've been kidding myself that I could do low-carb "halfway"....it just doesn't work that way, does it?

I remember how important this website was to me back then - and how many friends I had here - hopefully I'll find some of those friends and make some new ones on this journey to regain my figure!

I'm now a member at our local YMCA, so I have access to swimming and all sorts of exercise equipment - programs, etc.

I went from a size 16/18 down to a size 10 (and even an occasional size 8!) when I worked on this before - then I had a partial hysterectomy, and when that was over, I used my recuperation as an excuse to eat anything and it all went downhill from there. Now I'm back to size 14 - and the occasional size 16, depending on the manufacturer.....this has got to stop! This is the year of my 40th birthday (though not 'til December, so we won't rush it!) and I'm determined to get into better shape....

Will you all help me? If there are people out here now who are even half as helpful as they were back a couple of years ago, I know I'll have a great support team.

Thanks for listening.

Mindy

bigted Mon, Aug-02-04 19:04

Welcome back! There is lots of support here and we'll all be there to help.
Pop in anytime :)

CheesyPoof Mon, Aug-02-04 19:27

Welcome back, I think you'll find there is still tons of support on the board!

You can do it!

2bthn1smor Mon, Aug-02-04 19:38

You did it once and you can do it again, and this time you'll be able to make it permanent because you know the pitfalls.

I do find it amazing the things we tell ourselves about eating and food...we want to believe we can have something 'just this once' or 'just a bite' or doing low carb 'halfway' or 'planned cheats', etc. I really have to monitor my thinking about food all the time and remember that this is a mental thing as well as a physical one.

Well, welcome back to the board and to the best way of eating ever! We're all here to help.

marge23 Mon, Aug-02-04 19:46

Welcome Back

I'm in the same boat as you -- getting ready to hit the big 4-0, and jumping back on the lc wagon after doing Protein Power, then getting pregnant. After I had my daughter (okay -- it was 2 years ago! :lol: ) I did Weight Watchers since I thought it was "healthy" but all it did was cost me time and money, and make me remember why I loved low carbing. I think that now since there are so many products out there and even fast food restaurants have low carb menus, it is a bit easier to find alternatives and people are more accepting of low carbing-- as opposed to eating my bunless Wendy's double cheeseburger at my desk in "shame" next to my co-worker and her carrot sticks. :lol:

I didn't have this awesome board when I did Protein Power before and this place is amazing! Everyone here is so supportive. I'm sure you'll do great!

PJnVA Tue, Aug-03-04 04:14

Welcome back Mindy. Like you I had lost over 50 lbs back in 1999. Now here I am after gaining it all back. Time to do it right... do it for LIFE.:wiggle:

I know you can do it. Just take it one day at a time and post often.

Mindyd Tue, Aug-03-04 06:06

Thank you......

As I expected, you're all right here to keep me going......

I'm proud to report that I was at the Y this morning doing 30 minutes on the treadmill.....(boy did that alarm sound nasty......! :) ) I'm fortunate that I have a friend of mine that works out at that time every day as well - though this morning she was walking in the countercurrent pool while I was on the treadmill, so we didn't really get to talk. But just knowing she's there and committed is a good thing for me. Guess I'll have to shave my legs and brave a swimsuit for tomorrow...... :lol:

I appreciate all your words of encouragement - they all help me immensely.

Question - do any of you think that the so-called "low carb" breads are really good for us? I mean I think they're not as low carb as they claim to be - 'cuz when I began using them, I just didn't seem to lose as quickly....is the thought of a really low carb bread product just too good to be true? Should I not be looking for the low carb donuts from Krispy Kreme anytime soon? :help:

orchidday Tue, Aug-03-04 08:54

((((((((Mindy))))))))))

Welcome Home! I can really identify with your story. In 2001, I lost 39 pounds with Atkins, and then drifted off........ I gained 36 pounds back, and came back to the forum and this WOL in January. You can do it! The first step is to come back and fess up! Sometimes we retreaders can be very strong! I really think we needed to learn something and had to go off and do that. When we are ready, it works! Welcome back!!!!

Orchid