Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Hello (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=18922)

Rachele Tue, Sep-04-01 17:12

Hello

Hello! I'm new to the Adkins Diet. I just started yesterday. I'm looking for any advice concerning the first 14 days. What should I expect?

lesleyc Tue, Sep-04-01 18:13

Hi there,

So are you doing the induction diet? That's what I am on, and have done 8 days so far.

I've found that everything in the book is true! The first few days, getting through the cravings is the worst, but by day 3 I was past that. I haven't been hungry at all and have this huge amount of energy!:D

So far I have lost 8lbs, but it feels so weird to be eating stuff 've always teated as "no goes" eg butter!

If you can get through the first few days, you can stick to it!

Lesley

Rachele Tue, Sep-04-01 18:29

Yes! Eating butter and cheese!! I have a bit of fear! But I'm going to stay true to the diet.
I heard that the Adkin bars aren't good to eat. I've got to stop eating those. I've had two each day.
I went from a size 2 to a 6 to 8 in a year. I just want to get to a place I feel healthy.
What about caffine? I tried to quit drinking any but I went through withdrawal, so hopefully a Diet Coke a day won't hurt. Any suggestions?
thanks

tamarian Tue, Sep-04-01 18:42

Rachele,

Welcome to our forum.

Do yourself a big favour, and get a copy of the book ASAP, it will help greatly. Whoever advised you that Atkins Diet is about eating butter and cheese is grossly misinformed. This is not the healthy way to do it. Borrow a copy from your local library,and check for other books too like Protein Power. Knowledge is power. Starting a plan on wrong information may be an obstacle to optimum success.

Wa'il

Rachele Tue, Sep-04-01 18:56

I read the book and I understand the diet isn't about eating cheese and butter. I meant that just like the book states, it has been put in our heads that butter and cheese along with other items are bad. I was simply trying to say that I must change your way of thinking.
Thanks for the advice

tamarian Tue, Sep-04-01 21:15

Glad to hear it, Rachele, and sorry for misunderstanding. :)

Wa'il

Raven Wed, Sep-05-01 03:35

I agree with you. It's hard to get over what has been drilled in our minds from birth about how the only healthy way to eat is low-fat.

I'm almost done with induction and although everyone's experiences are different, I can share a bit of mine. The first few days I had a bit of a problem with headaches (from carb withdrawal I'm sure) and irritibility. Also a fair amount of muscle weakness (Take your supplements and drink water!). After about a week, the muscles are stronger, no more headaches and I feel GREAT! The cravings for carbohydrates disappeared about the 3rd day. Now I have a *lot* of energy and am motivated enough to exercise. I actually *want* to exercise now, (LOL that is SO not me).

The irritibility is gone too, now i'm just happy. :D

Raven

Rachele Wed, Sep-05-01 08:35

Thanks Raven.
Today is my third day so maybe the headaches will go away.
:)
I'm traveling this weekend and all next week. Any suggestions besides the book on inventive ways to stay on taget?

Rachele Wed, Sep-05-01 08:36

oops....target

Karen Wed, Sep-05-01 09:00

Take cans of zip top fish, pork rinds and beef jerky. If you're going to be eating in restaurants most places offer salads, vegetables and meat - hold the starch and don't eat the bread. At fast food places, meat minus the bread and watch out for sugar in salad dressings. Remember to hold the croutons and be strong!

Karen

debbiedobson Wed, Sep-05-01 11:34

welcome rachele!:D good luck on your lowcarb journey!

Rachele Wed, Sep-05-01 13:34

Thanks so much.