Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   3500 cals to gain a lb? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=188101)

blue4lemon Mon, May-31-04 07:39

3500 cals to gain a lb?

You guys agree on this one? I do. Even if I cheat I gain a few lbs on the scale (my measurements and clothes size don't change), the "lbs" go away rapidly within the next few days.

pecan Mon, May-31-04 07:45

it's water weight...that's why atkins says to rely on measurements instead of the scale.

Justjen72 Mon, May-31-04 07:53

I sure hope this is the case. Although, when I did gain weight over the years, I seldom binged on food. I wonder how I was able to consume that much to gain. :(

blue4lemon Mon, May-31-04 08:09

It can be gradual, not just in one day. When I tried to do moderate fat so called "healthy diet" I did nothing but binge on mueslix cereal and yogurt and I was about 175.

xxxomnixxx Mon, May-31-04 08:15

One gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds. Do the fractions and you'll see how as little as a quart of water retention would equal a little over 2 lbs of scale weight.

blue4lemon Mon, May-31-04 08:19

thats true, too, but water goes away when you pee. i think another part of "cheat" weight gain could be the food sitting in your stomach, cause when i cheat i get constipated.

LUCKYLADY Mon, May-31-04 08:55

Some water goes away when you pee....but when you retain water you retain it in your body not in your bladder. If you gain overnight or lose overnight it's water weight, you can not gain fat overnight. Constipation can also add weight....I think I read somewhere it can add 5lbs or even more depending on how backed up you are.

Good news is even if you gain fat if it comes on quickly chances are it'll go quickly too. New fat cells are not established in the body yet and are the first to go when your eating right!

xxxomnixxx Mon, May-31-04 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKYLADY
Some water goes away when you pee....but when you retain water you retain it in your body not in your bladder.

Absolutely right on! I can tell if I'm retaining water just by placing the fingers
of my left hand (thumb and index) around the wrist of my right hand. When I'm not retaining, they touch. I overdid it with sodium yesterday, and today there's a 1/4" gap between thumbtip and index fingertip.

blue4lemon Mon, May-31-04 11:30

well I think my lb loss today was actually fat since I recently broke through a stall, and also because the scale hasn't read that low ever.

LUCKYLADY Mon, May-31-04 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxomnixxx
Absolutely right on! I can tell if I'm retaining water just by placing the fingers
of my left hand (thumb and index) around the wrist of my right hand. When I'm not retaining, they touch. I overdid it with sodium yesterday, and today there's a 1/4" gap between thumbtip and index fingertip.

I can tell by how my engagement and wedding rings fit....If I wake up in the morning and they are tight I know I'm retaining......WOW! This color is bright....I don't think i'll be using this one again!...LOL