Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   South Beach Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Wondering how everyone started phase 2 (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=186517)

twinmomma Mon, May-24-04 10:26

Wondering how everyone started phase 2

Hi-
I was wondering what people would introduce when they first started phase 2? I am really worried that i will gain some more. So should I start with fruits? Just looking for ideas of what I should start off with and how to proceed. I was a little unsure of what to do. Also has anyone gone another week of Phase 1? Thanks

pstar Mon, May-24-04 10:30

I started with Uncle Sams cereal a couple of times a week and 1 slice of LC whole wheat bread with lunch a couple of times a week...helped the digestive system...next I added dried apricots for my morning snack a couple of times a week...all of my added items were to help digestion with the added benefit of making me feel less deprived.

I stayed on Phase I for 3 weeks.

BonBonNY Wed, May-26-04 15:22

Hi Twinmomma,
I continued on phase one into week 3 because I wasn't having trouble following the diet (no hunger paigns or dreaming of chocolate cake) and I wan't to lose more weight, but by day 21 I hadn't lost any more weight and I succumbed to eating too many cashews and that led to four choco liebniz. Looking back, I think it would have been best to go onto phase 2 after the 2nd week as Dr. Agatston suggests in the book. (Also, I saw him on The View today and he confirmed that doing so is best because it keeps the body metabolizing--whereas staying on phase one makes many people's bodies resist the weight loss, according to Agatston).
Anyway, I would suggest adding fruit into the diet first during phase 2. Good luck.
BonBonNY

Judynyc Wed, May-26-04 15:51

I'm now 4 weeks into this plan and I did not get really clean until my second week. So I stayed at phase 1 through the third week. I just started to add in a little fruit but thats it!! Some cherries are nice this time of year as they are in season and low in the glycemic index.

For me, it is important to stay away from things made of any kind of flour as this is a trigger food for me. I can eat a snack of nuts without loosing it but give me a bagel or a danish and I'm done for!! :D

A_Team_Gal Wed, May-26-04 17:35

I was on phase 1 for 6 days. Yes, that's right. I just couldn't do it any more.

When I started phase 2, I studied the menu suggestions in the book until I picked up the pattern aimed for. Started off with oatmeal or Uncle Sam cereal with fruit a couple of times a week, and a fruit or slice of bread with other breakfasts. Snacks vary between a combo of protein and carb (usually fruit) and strictly carb. Lunch may or may not include carbs. Dinner has minimal carbs at best (bread crumbs and brown rice in meat loaf type thing). I've been losing between 2 and 3 pounds a week since I went on phase 2, so it's working for me. I've found working towards balance, watching my portion sizes, and picking healthy choices are working for me. (And this is with going out to dinner once a week and being careful but not overly obssessive.)

elijaeger Wed, May-26-04 19:00

Start with a fruit low on the glycemic index. Think berries. Don't eat too much cereal or grains in my opinion. The low carb tortillas and low carb bread are good though to get some fiber and some of the taste that you miss.

Have you read the book?

twinmomma Wed, May-26-04 19:09

Yes, I have read the book. I just like to get some opions on what I should start with. I think I will start to add a piece of fruit at lunch. In the book I had read that you shouldn't start out with fruit in the AM. I have heard some conflicting things. I would love to start up yogurt again but I can't find SF yogurt around me. Thanks for all the help-

Monika4 Wed, May-26-04 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomma
.... I would love to start up yogurt again but I can't find SF yogurt around me. Thanks for all the help-

Yoplait just came out with "ultra" low fat yoghurt which is decent. I also have Dannon plain. It may jsut be available in large buckets.

twinmomma Wed, May-26-04 20:29

Monika-
The yogurts you suggested are SF? I was searching the labels and never found anything. Maybe I will head back tommorow. Thanks-your always got great ideas and advice- :)

maggieb Wed, May-26-04 21:53

Hi Whitney,

How are ya.....The yogurt I eat "Yoplait Source" "Fat -Free stirred Yogurt "
has on the label:
energy/calories 70
protein 4.3 gms
0.1 gm fat
13 gms carbs

The base is vanilla and it comes in about 8 different fruit bottoms. I really like it....

does that help or can you not find any that are sweetened with Splenda or Apartame?
the labels may still list some sugar but that will be naturally ocurring sugar from the lactose....