Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Anyone still use OTHER artificial sweetners? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=185783)

monica26 Thu, May-20-04 11:51

Anyone still use OTHER artificial sweetners?

Splenda costs so much anyone use nutrasweet equal or other products and still lose weight?I know they say there bad for you but what isnt? lol

windy Thu, May-20-04 11:52

I use Sweet N Low now and then and it seems to be ok. I use some liquid sweeteners also.

Linda

TXAimee Thu, May-20-04 11:57

I still use Sweet n Low. But at times I've been known to steal a few Splenda packets from restaurants. SHSHSHSHSHSHHSH

Well, I know I'm NOT the only one who does that. ;)

ValerieL Thu, May-20-04 12:07

I never gave up my diet coke and I do okay.

Valerie

Hilary M Thu, May-20-04 12:22

I use splenda for everything except my iced tea. For some reason, I much prefer the flavor of Sweet N Low in iced tea to Splenda.

If you don't like Splenda, Sweet N Low is a much better choice than Nutrasweet (aspartame) according to Dr. Atkins. That said, I do still drink the occasional Diet Coke.

monica26 Thu, May-20-04 12:53

Thanks for your input :)

HeMe2Kids Thu, May-20-04 14:14

I use liquid saccharin (clymate) based.
It is rare that I use it, but it is ok by atkins and is not a staller.

katmutti Thu, May-20-04 15:19

I still use sweet n low in my coffee. That is the only time that I use it. For some reason, I don't like how equal or splenda tastes in my coffee. Acquired taste?!?! Other than that, I use splenda....I still like my diet pepsi with equal...I did buy some malitol for baking, but I don't want to use it until I hit goal because it can stall. I think that once I hit goal, I won't have to worry about stalling!!!! :D

monica26 Thu, May-20-04 18:30

Does anyone know why aspartame stalls weight loss,I did read the book but it sounded more like it made cravings for other foods worse,does it actually stop weight loss?

cc48510 Thu, May-20-04 20:41

I mainly use Stevia Extract Powder, which is actually a Natural Sweetener [it comes from the Stevia Rebaudiana Leaf which is native to South America, and can be had with no fillers.] On occassion, I will use Saccharine [Liquid, Tablet, or Packets*] or Splenda [Granular*,] though not too much since fillered sweeteners [the ones with stars] contain Partially Digested Cornstarch [Maltodextrin] and/or Glucose [Dextrose.] I never use Aspartame Based Sweeteners, but I will drink a Diet Soda on rare occassions. I chose Fountain Diet Sodas over Canned/Bottled, since the Diet Coke/Pepsi that comes out of the Fountain [at least at Fast Food Joints,] is sweetened with a mix of Saccharine and Aspartame, which means less Aspartame is used, especially if they can get them to synergize with each other. The Cans/Bottles are sweetened with 100% Aspartame:

Aspartame --> Methanol (Wood Alcohol) + Phenylalinine + Aspartic Acid (Nuertotoxin)
Methanol --> Formic Acid (Red Ant Poison) + Fermaldehyde (Embalming Fluid)

supernova Thu, May-20-04 20:53

I've been using Sugar Twin, only because I had a large box of packets and I'm too frugal to throw it out (it was bad enough throwing away all my pasta and rice and whatnots) :)

I use about three packs a day on salads, in water with protein powder and (get ready to be grossed out) on my bacon in the morning. :eek:

Though I'm stalled right now, I used it the whole time I had my initial big loss (12 lbs).

blue4lemon Thu, May-20-04 21:01

I use liquid swwet-n-low. No carbs.

RCFletcher Fri, May-21-04 05:24

I use cyclamate for tea and coffee (which I think you can't get in the US.)
Cheap store brand sweetener powder (mostly aspartame) for putting on rhubarb.
Spenda powder for baking (you can't bake with aspartame).
And saccharine from time to time.
Stevia is illegal in Europe.

I have no issues with any of them and they don't seem to cause sugar cravings or stall weight loss. I do think that by using a variety however you cut down on the risks from any one.

monica26 Fri, May-21-04 05:45

Thanks to you all :)

sqkitty Fri, May-21-04 09:22

sweet n low for drinks like tea/coffee. But spelnda for food. I don't like the splenda taste in the drinks.