Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Craving veggies...how weird is that? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=184934)

blatla Sun, May-16-04 20:03

Craving veggies...how weird is that?

My kids had a little awards thingy tonight so my dad took all of us out to Braum's for ice cream afterwards. I had a small cup of their CarbWatch ice cream (2-3 net carbs, or so they say) and it was really good. When we got home, I had this bizarre craving for broccoli and cauliflower of all things! I've NEVER been a veggie eater. I've forced them down because I know I need them and they're pretty much a requirement on Atkins...but I've never LIKED them. I'm sitting here with a big bowl of broccoli and cauliflower smothered in butter and I'm actually enjoying it. I never would have believed it could happen.

So...if you're a veggie-hater, eat 'em anyways and stick with it...tastes DO change!

tagcaver Sun, May-16-04 20:32

Cucumbers

I'll get the munchies every now and then, and I always head for the cucumbers. It's not uncommon that I will peel and eat a whole cucumber at a sitting. And I get very few carbs or calories for the buck. Less bang for the buck, I guess you could say. I just love the cool crunchiness of cucumbers.

Joan

Built Sun, May-16-04 20:34

I think that's why this WOE really agrees with so many of us - you let your body actually TELL you what it needs, and you learn you can trust it when it starts asking for broccoli.

Frederick Sun, May-16-04 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatla
I had this bizarre craving for broccoli and cauliflower of all things! So...if you're a veggie-hater, eat 'em anyways and stick with it...tastes DO change!

Am I reading this correctly?

I'm in utter disbelief. Even having read your post 10 times, comprehension is still eluding me here. LOL

respu Mon, May-17-04 03:20

i find myself adding a dollop of mayo to most meals - pre atkins I couldn't stomach the stuff :D

It seems that changing our lifestyle generates further changes we didn't foresee

SheriS Mon, May-17-04 03:34

I think my taste buds have really changed since starting the WOL. But then, maybe quitting smoking helped also. I find myself looking at different vegetables in the store, then going home and getting online to see how to prepare them. If I find a recipe that sounds good, I buy the veggie next time and try it. So far I've tried asparagus (led me to plant a patch in my garden this year), turnips, eggplant (didn't like this one), kale, and scallops.

cmcole Mon, May-17-04 14:40

I love the variety available.

So much more interesting than potatoes, peas, corn, carrots - the mainstay of most meals, either at home or in restaurants.

Jade74 Mon, May-17-04 14:43

I agree, your tastes do change. Now, if I have to go out for lunch, I always want a greek salad... I never used to want salad at all. I also use cukes as a snack, I don't even bother peeling it (more fibre) just slice it up with a bit of salt. I eat an entire cucumber with my lunch every day too.

Jenn

Itty Tue, May-18-04 07:55

Veggies are great, I just need them prepared for me! :) !

I go to Dominion (Fresh obsessed, eh?) and get the pre-cut veggie bowls. Sometimes you can actually find one without carrots! I eat the carrots now that I am so close to goal, and since they are nutritious. The dip helps, too.

M

mssusthang Tue, May-18-04 08:02

I grew up eating a lot of veggies in my home. I was fortunate my parents always served them. My mom always fixed them so wonderfully.

Asparagus, broccolli, cauliflower, green beans, boiled cabbage (with a little bacon and butter), squash, zucchini, the list goes on.

Really ... I have never met a veggie I didn't like. Especially if you can add butter!!! :)

Itty Tue, May-18-04 08:16

Ha!

My veggies growing up were corn, potatoes and potato chips.

M

BlitzedAng Tue, May-18-04 08:39

Boy do tastes change. Before this woe I did not care for, red meat,ice cream,caulifower,or nuts. Now I enjoy them very much.

Angel

serrelind Tue, May-18-04 09:01

lol I actually love eating veggies now. So much that I don't even need any sort of dressing on my salad. I hate it when my veggies are drowned in thick creamy dressing. Now I just eat a salad by itself. Weird to some people I know :)

Serre