Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Question for the pros (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=183074)

bellsucks Fri, May-07-04 14:23

Question for the pros

There is much confusion about alcohol and here's what I'm looking to clear up:
Bacardi has an ad campaign which claims that bacardi (white, I assume) and soda (as in 'club soda', not 'soda pop') is low in carbs and contains only 60 calories (per serving). How is this possible if rum is a derivative of cane sugar? Next question... where does vodka come in on the carb scale? Above, or below rum? Finally, which spirit would be the lowest of the low on the carb scale and where would one find this information?

Now... over to the experts! and thanks for your insight into this matter....

Sweet_Pea Fri, May-07-04 15:54

I really dona't know anything about Rum. You may want to check the Bacardi website to get more info.

Vodka has 0 carbs. Once in a great while I like to mix the citris vodka with a diet squirt. It's really good.

Most of the hard liquors have 0 carbs.

One thing I do know is when you drink alcohol, you may stall since your body will burn the alcohol prior to burning the fat.

HTH a little.

Vanity3 Fri, May-07-04 16:41

read more at The Sun News

Rum, vodka, gin, whiskey and tequila contain no carbs or fat at all, and never have.

LilaCotton Fri, May-07-04 17:01

The reason it can be made from sugar cane, then have 0 carbs when it's finished is because the process by which it's made into rum uses up all of the sugar.

tofi Fri, May-07-04 17:48

But beware of drinking while low carbing. You get the effects of the alcohol MUCH faster and MUCH stronger. Your body rushes through the breakdown of alcohol so the intoxicating effect is much bigger. And, as was said above, your body uses the alcohol by-products before burning fat.

jagbender Sat, May-08-04 08:30

Excelent post Tofi. I had a four month Platau from Bourbon. When I first started LC I read Booze no Carbs = OK to drink. After 4 months I figured it out. Quit drinking and 2 months later I was down 20 pounds. As for the science of alcohol, the yeast eats the sugar and gives off two by products.
CO2 and Alcohol. Alcohol is actully Yeast Urine!
That pust a different spin on things!
Jag

bellsucks Tue, May-11-04 10:21

Thanks to you all for contributing... this is very convincing as far as the claims (by Bacardi) go as well as explaining to certain individuals that it doesn't matter what you drink... it won't help!

Thanks again!

nikkil Tue, May-11-04 15:21

I've mixed vodka with sf cola and some cream and it's delicious. I'm thinking I might buy the da vinci coffee or kahlua syrup to go with this. Watch out for 2 things:

less inhibitions about eating carby snacks sitting around while drinking

you'll get the effects of alcohol much quicker while lcing