Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Atkins prepackaged meals? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182894)

Vicki B. Thu, May-06-04 17:22

Atkins prepackaged meals?

My aunt has decided that she would like to do the Atkins program. I'm trying to help her all that I can. She just emailed me and said she'd found some pre packaged Atkins meals (like weight watchers has) and wanted to know if they were okay for induction since she will be the only in her house on this program. I've never seen or heard of Atkins pre packaged meals. Can anyone tell me about them or tell me if they would be okay for her on induction?

Vicki B.

elimy Fri, May-07-04 12:18

Atkins products

Hi Vicki,

The best advice I have is to go to www.atkins.com and click on "shop". You can browse through their products and they actually list which phase they are recommended for. Most of their "Quick Cuisine" products are good for phases 2-4. But they have bake mixes and syrups that are ok on phase 1.

If she doesn't have internet access, you could sign her up on the Atkins site for a regular mail catalog. I get one every few months.

Hope that helps!

Emily

Vanity3 Fri, May-07-04 12:23

Wait, there are pre-packaged Atkins meals? Where have I been. I missed that memo :)

MaryToU Fri, May-07-04 13:05

Actually I have started seeing Atkins products in the food stores. I have found bagels and bread a whole lot cheaper than if I were to order them. And I have even found and tried the Atkins frozen pepperoni pizza, which I thought was just ok. Deep dish pizza is way better!

If you Aunt is finding them is a store, then the price will not be so bad. But if she orders them besides almost double the price she will pay a lot for shipping them overnight. It really all comes down to what she is happy with.

elimy Fri, May-07-04 13:55

Just to clarify, I was only suggesting looking at their site for finding out what phases the products are recommended for. I agree with MaryToU about ordering. Unless you can't find them in the store, it's generally more expensive ordering.

The stores around me are expanding what selections they have, but they don't have everything. I personally have not ordered through Atkins yet.

We actually have a couple of strictly low-carb stores in our area. Granted prices are a little high.

ok, that's all! ;)

Vicki B. Fri, May-07-04 20:47

Thanks so much everyone! I actually went to the Atkins site after I posted to check out what kind of meals they sold. I believe she is seeing them in the stores (I live in a different state from her). I told her to just make sure she read the packages to see what Phase the meal is okay for.

I think prepackaged may work better for her. She is very large (I wouldn't attempt to guess) but has lost some weight after stomach band surgery. She cannot stand for more than about five minutes and during the times she is alone it will probably be easier for her to be able to grab something from the freezer and nuke it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Vicki B.